Chapter 14

Back on Thra, ever since the Chamberlain had gone to live in a different dimension, or planet, the Skeksis were living just fine without him. They were actually all the more thrilled that he was gone. They just figured that the ones who had taken him in were going to have their own hands full with SkekSil's mischievous ways. They didn't think they knew what they were letting themselves in for. They were also glad that they didn't have to listen to Sil's whimpering voice anymore either, especially SkekUng. He never would have allowed SkekSil to be his counselor.

The Skeksis still continued to send the Garthim out into the wilderness to collect animals for their food and Podlings to be drained and turned into mindless slaves.
..............

Sil really was trying to get to know the clan personally, other than Brooklyn too. Just like he had known all his clan members back in Thra, or he at least felt that he knew them. Sil had gotten to know more about Brooklyn, Lexington, and Angela, and he practically knew all he could about Hudson.

Hudson was set in his ways on some matters and didn't always want to open up to others. He was just too proud. But he had plenty of patience and wisdom too. He was like Goliath's closest confidant, other than Elisa. But most of the time, he just watched TV due to his old age. He had earned a 'retirement,' only helping out when truly needed.

Sil was still curious about being alone with Broadway. Brooklyn had told him his habits, but he wanted to see for himself. He waited for one night when Brooklyn and Angela went on a patrol with Goliath.

Broadway had stayed home tonight. Ever since his mate had been saved by the Skeksis, he tried to put more faith in him.

Chamberlain went to seek the turquoise gargoyle out tonight to see what he was doing. He found him in the library reading. It seems most of them liked to read a lot when they weren't busy.

"Hmm, what you doing?" Sil asked, coming in.

Broadway jumped a little but had heard his footsteps before. He looked up at the curious Skeksis.

"Just reading. Why?" Broadway replied.

"Come to see if hang out. Brooklyn out on patrol again." Sil said.

"I know. He took Angela too. I'll make dinner when they get back."

"Why not start now? It be ready when they get back." Sil suggested.

"Well, we never know if they might be out all night too."

"Goliath takes Brooklyn out a lot with him, other than Angela." Sil said.

"Yeah. She's his daughter, and I think he does it to spend extra time with her. And as his Second, well, he has a lot to teach Brooklyn. He can be harder on him at times. Brooklyn has more responsibility than the rest of us." Broadway explained. "Since he'll be the leader someday if something ever happens to Goliath."

"Know what it's like being a Second. Was to Emperor in Thra, before he died. I practically ran castle itself. I made sure other Skeksis did their jobs proper. Emperor not always able to check on himself. He had higher job to do. But I do what was needed of me and report to him of things happening in castle." Sil explained his duties a little bit.

"But would you have become Emperor when he died?"

"New emperor should have been me. But Skeksis have to battle about everything. Had challenge of Trial by Stone to decide. We use big swords to crack a stone in pieces. SkekUng broke off bigger pieces and won. I was banished but come back when find Brooklyn in wilderness. If portal not open up and bring back, he would have been Night Guard for Skeksis castle." Sil explained.

"Well, it's the one thing that us gargoyles live for, to protect our home, clan, and others around us." Broadway stated.

"You going to start dinner before they come home?" Sil asked.