Chapter 25

Now that the Chamberlain had a healed leg again, he was allowed to go out on more patrols again. Winter would be here before too long.

When the clan found out that it was the Quarrymen who had been taken out in the explosion, they were a little more grateful for it, that at least the leader was gone. There were still bound to be more Quarrymen out there though. There were lots of humans in the city who hated the gargoyles or just didn't understand them.

Owen didn't keep many secrets from his boss. He secretly told Xanatos that Sil was responsible for the explosion.

"If he's going to be pulling things like this, do you think it wise to let him stay, Sir?" Owen asked David.

"Did he say why he did it?"

"He said it was for the protection of the clan." Owen replied.

"Well, if it was for the protection of the clan, I say he has my congrats to even think up such a plan. No one else was going to do anything about them. The clan might have done something about them only when it might become too late by then. I know they try their best, but they try not to kill. It might also be part of Sil's past too. A need to get rid of danger to his own kind too. We humans and him are not so different after all." David explained his thoughts.

"But, the clan should know."

"Yes, they should."
................

When Sil was doing his job during the daylight hours, David went to seek him out. He wanted to know for sure. He wanted to make sure that the Skeksis wasn't turning into a threat.

Sil was filing paperwork for Owen when he saw the man coming toward him. "Hmm, what bring Xanatos here?" he asked.

"Chamberlain, something concerning has been brought to my attention. No one else knows, I promise. But I need to know. Did you cause the explosion at the Castaway house?" David asked.

Sil glared. Owen must have told. He looked away.

"You did, didn't you?"

"Owen say not tell. Yes. Chamberlain kill Quarrymen." Sil answered glumly.

"Can I ask why?"

"Need you ask?"

"Yes. Why?"

"For protection of self and clan. They not care of others as was. I hear Elisa nearly killed that night not long ago. And they hurt Chamberlain!" Sil exclaimed.

"That was what I needed to hear. You did it for the right reasons. They were too dangerous to be left alive." David grinned at him. "But promise that you'll only kill if absolutely necessary, as in self-defense or protecting your clan."

"That all was doing. Yes. Swear. Really not want clan to know." Sil proclaimed.

"I suppose we can keep it a secret, but they would normally want to know that they can trust you. You should tell them."

"That for Chamberlain to tell. Not ready to tell. Please not tell?"

"Alright. For now."

"Good. Too many doubt Chamberlain's loyalties for too long. And as say, just clan protection." Sil declared.

David knew that his reasons were good to take them out. To him, this Skeksis was just proving how valuable he could be even to his home. Quarrymen had even invaded his home once before too and kidnapped his son. He would allow Sil to stay.
..............

Now that Sil had been here for a longer time period, David convinced Fox to see if Sil could be convinced to babysit their son for a while, but perhaps with Lex's help to show him first.