Chapter 26

Chamberlain slept until just after sunrise. When he saw it was daylight out, he closed his curtains in the room. He used the bathroom and went back to bed. He might have had quite a lot of energy enough for one of his age, but he could still tire too.

When he got up later in the day for his job with Owen, the blonde man asked him, "How was babysitting Alex last night?"

"Interesting. Chamberlain see Alex not too bad."

"You just got to have patience with him. He's still near a baby and he doesn't know better on things just yet." Owen said.

"Chamberlain only saw Gelfling babies out in villages on Thra, and not have much to do with. Childlings always stay in villages until old enough to be guards or other jobs in Skeksis castle."

"So, you're saying that your clan never tried to have kids?"

"No. We did try. Lots of times. But nothing ever come of it. Just can't."

"That's too bad."

"Eighteen at beginning of one thousand trine ago on Thra. Two die at beginning. Confusion. We not understand all that go on and accidents. Left sixteen for nine hundred fifty trine. Same as year. Only nine left to just before coming here. Eight left on Thra, to Chamberlain's knowledge." Sil explained.

"If your clan was all here, our scientists would probably find a way around that barrier. The specialists always find a way."

That got Sil's attention. "You know specialists?"

"The only one I know of is Dr. Anton Sevarius, and he is a grade A geneticist. But he's also very much a lunatic too, especially with what he did to Elisa Maza's brother and the others you know as the Mutates, and the gargoyle clones."

"So, you say not to go to him?"

"Precisely. He would do who knows what with your DNA if he knew about you. He could even perhaps make a clone of you." Owen stated.

"Another me not be so bad."

"You should know that I even once played a role in getting fresh DNA off Goliath for Sevarius' work. Thailog was Goliath's clone and the first one. But things went south on that fast. Mr. Xanatos didn't realize what he had created, and he betrayed us. Thailog is very dangerous."

"What he look like? Seen other gargoyle clones." Sil asked.

"He looks like Goliath, but he's black-skinned and has white hair. And opposite personality of Goliath. Last I knew, he also now wears armor clothing. Probably to hide burn scars from the fire explosion he caused on the oil rig after Goliath's first meeting with him. That was some time ago though."

"Does clan ever see him anymore?"

"Not for some time. He knows how to lie low. He was even Demona's mate for a short time. He betrayed her too. All he knows is how to cause trouble."

"Chamberlain know some ways about causing trouble, but only when needed. To get things to straightened point." Sil said.

Owen knew how to cause trouble too. But now that the gargoyles and his boss were friends, Owen had to be there for them too.

"Well, just take my advice and stay far away from Thailog and Dr. Sevarius." Owen warned him. "Demona too."

Sil knew about staying away from Demona. She hadn't been seen for some time.
...............

Sevarius was growing impatient on Demona bringing him this strange creature.

Demona finally agreed to get this alien creature for her partner. He would come whether he wanted to or not. The best time would be when he was alone or with just one of the clan. She could take out the other clan members. He likely wouldn't turn to stone in the daylight, so that would make prospects even better to study him.