Chapter 12

Goliath began insisting that Chamberlain start some fighting training. If he was ever going to participate in a fight or something outside the castle, should they ever run into dangerous humans, he needed some training. He seemed to be able to get around and move swiftly enough, for one of his age.

Sil watched the humans train, and how the gargoyles trained, both in the dojo and outside. How they trained was different being different species.

"Chamberlain know how to fight with swords." Sil said.

"That's good, but you might also want to work on dodging movements too. You have to be fast as well. Trying to not get shot is a bit different than trying to avoid another sword." Brooklyn insisted.

"I can test him on using swords." Hudson said. "Since I have my own sword, and Xanatos has some swords to spare."

Sil had secretly brought a Skeksis dagger back with him but had kept it hidden from even Brooklyn. He wasn't about to part with it.

David let Sil borrow a sword. To him, it reminded him a little of Gelfling swords, but smaller. It was just straighter than what he was used to, but he was able to use it like any other sword. Sil and Hudson had a little sparring match.

Sil orchestrated that he could indeed hold his own in a sword fight. But then came dodging around, and even tail tripping, to be used on an enemy. It was a few long nights of training. This was important.

It was one thing where during a sword fight that you had to keep eye contact to anticipate the next move, but with a gun, you never know what could happen, where an enemy would aim for the kill or injure.

..............

Brooklyn took Chamberlain out to a movie one night with him and Lex. Broadway and Angela had a date elsewhere. So did Goliath and Elisa.

During the weekend, Brooklyn, Lex, and Broadway went the rock concert at Madison Square Garden, bringing Sil with them to see what band they had. Sil had never heard music like that before. It was definitely different than what he was used to. And of course, they had to watch from up in the rafters. Sil was more used to Podling music.

Now that Sil was staying in the clan longer, he had his job for Owen and Xanatos during afternoons in the daytime. He slept in the mornings. He was starting to get curious about spending time with the other gargoyles too. Just like back in Thra, he would check in on the other Skeksis to make sure they were doing their jobs. Of course, the gargoyles didn't quite do jobs like they did.

There was one night where he wasn't allowed to go out because Goliath and Brooklyn went on a patrol that lasted all night.

Chamberlain went to check out what Lexington was doing for the night. He might have been small and what he knew about him, he reminded him of the Scientist. He already knew what Hudson did the most.

Owen was being a driver tonight, and David and Fox had gone out tonight. Lex was in charge of Alex once again. Broadway and Angela were on patrol too. Hudson and Bronx were in the TV room again.

Sil knew where Lex's room was but knew that he wasn't there. The Xanatos' had wanted him to avoid being shown there. But Sil went looking for the little green one anyway. He had seen where the two married humans went in a different direction sometimes. He hadn't been there before, but now was a good time to find out.

He went up to that familiar place and took that inside hallway and walked up there. The halls he had never seen before. He made mental notes of where he was going. He looked into other rooms along the way, looking for Lexington.

Soon, he made it to the Xanatos baby's bedroom. He had seen the couple's room, and no one was there. He peeked inside and saw Lex reading to Alex in a rocking chair. Strange kind of chair to him. Lex was reading a Dr. Seuss book, The Lorax.