Chapter 29

For the next few weeks, it continued to get colder outside.

Life remained as normal for the clan. They ate, patrolled, did their favorite activities. Lovers had dates. There was babysitting duties. Charity events to go to for the Xanatos'.

One night, Sil grew curious about all the charity events that the humans went to.

"Could Chamberlain ever go to one of these... things you go to?" Sil asked David.

"It probably wouldn't be safe." David replied.

"Please. Want to see one." Sil was persuasive.

"I'll see what I can do, but it would have to be one where people might be wearing costumes would be the best kind of event you could attend." David said.

"That good enough." Sil was satisfied with that.
.............

A few days later, Owen told his boss that there was an event where there were people sponsoring saving endangered wildlife in Africa.

After looking up some African animals, it was found that some species of vultures were endangered. Sil could go to sponsor that, in his 'costume.'

David went and showed it to Sil. People were dressing up at this comic con as their favorite kind of animal. Sil would fit right in.

"Hmm, look like sound promise of fun." Sil said.

"Good. Be ready to go in a couple of days." David said.

That night, Sil told Brooklyn about it.

"Well, it sounds like fun if you can get into it. I wish we could go to these charity events. At least yours is a costume event." Brooklyn declared. "You do actually look enough like a vulture; I mean with your head. But you might need some more real bird qualities to make a sufficient costume. You might want to ask Fox or Owen on that part. We would know nothing of how to design something like that."

"Okay." Sil replied.

The next day, he went to talk to Owen about designing a more convincing costume. Things that might be able to be put on its own costume or added to his robes.

"You would need to wear some lighter clothes if you were to add more feathers to be a convincing vulture." Owen advised.

Together, for the next long while, they got to work on a convincing vulture costume.

In the end, Sil was back in his lightest robes, the grayish ones like when he had been banished the first time. Only this time, another sheet with feathers was added over it to hide his spikes and ribs. He would wear a blanket outside.

This was during the daytime, so Sil was riding down in elevators with his human allies. They were wearing animal costumes too. David was in a lion costume. Fox was in a leopard one.

The officer in the lobby saw them. David told him they were headed to a costume party across town.

"Just mind your manners and stay close to us." Fox told him.

Sil had been told that he couldn't bring his dagger with him this time. Some events scanned their guests for weapons.

Sil had never ridden in a car before here on Earth. This would be his first time. But to him, once inside it, it didn't seem no more different than riding in one of the Skeksis former carriages, only there were no Armaligs moving them. Someone drove the car.

He was shown quite a few luxuries that the rich had in their cars. TV, VCR, remote, brandy, buttons to several commands, a window to roll up or down to talk to the driver, and so on. Much more accessories than a Skeksis carriage.