Chapter 21

Lexington was soon awake and the clan were allowed to go in and see him. He was definitely breathing a lot easier. It had been harder to put bandages on him because of his wing pattern, but there were the stitches easily seen on what the doc had done. Some in his stomach and chest. Other than that, the ribs would heal on their own.

Lex would not be patrolling for a few nights. He needed lots of rest yet.

"Lexington, do you remember what happened?" Goliath asked.

"Yeah. We were all fighting robbers. I fought some that went down an alley. I fought and knocked one man out until Quarrymen showed up. I was trapped in a net and was hit with a hammer. One Quarrymen was going to finish me until I remember Sil being there, having killed one I believe. Then, he fought other Quarrymen to protect me. I managed to get out of the net and save him from being done in after I saw him go down." Lex explained what he remembered.

"So he did save your life." Angela declared. "And you saved him."

"Yeah. That's what I remember. Where is he?" Lex asked.

"He's in surgery now to fix his hurt leg." Brooklyn replied.

"How are you feeling, bro?" Broadway asked.

"Lousy, but I feel better. I can breathe again." Lex replied.

"You had a broken rib piercing your diaphragm, the doctor said." Goliath said.

"No wonder I couldn't breathe. Thanks, guys. I'll make sure to thank Sil too, when we see each other next." Lex decreed.

They had to wait a while yet.
...............

Soon, the surgery was complete.

The Chamberlain was taken to a recovery room. He had made it through his surgery. His vitals seemed to be strong. He hadn't lost a critical amount of blood, but he had lost some.

The wound was deep inside it. Sato had repaired the damage. It had mainly passed through the muscle and near the bone, but not the artery. He would be sore for a while. He would also need a brace on his leg too. He would have to stay off his feet for sure.

Dr. Sato came and told the clan he was out of surgery and in a room. He would come out of anesthesia anytime now.

"How is he going to be?" Brooklyn asked. "Will he walk again?"

"Yes. He will have to be off his feet for the next three weeks. No patrols. He doesn't turn to stone, does he?"

"No, he doesn't."

"Well, he'll be healing for longer then." Sato stated. "Just make sure he gets plenty of rest. Try to keep him comfortable. He might also show signs of trauma too. Gunshots are traumatic."

"I hear that." Broadway said. He still remembered when it happened to Elisa.

Brooklyn still felt partially responsible for this because he had brought Sil here to his world. Perhaps he wasn't meant to patrol with them after all. Going out when he recovered was one thing, but only for other activities, not patrol.

"Can we see him?" Brooklyn asked.

"He's in a room now, so yes." Sato replied. "I'll stay tonight to make sure both my patients are doing well. I'll be by tomorrow night to see how they're doing."

Brooklyn went to see how Sil was doing. When he got in there, he was still out. His breathing was stable. The breather was still on his nose.

The red gargoyle saw that his friend was covered up with blankets and still had an IV in his hand. He never thought he would see him like this. He then raised up the blanket on the left leg to see what it looked like.