Part 21

Mattia pov

Somethings up.

I can tell.

She's been so quiet for the past few days. She's not responding to any of my arguments and it's so obvious something else is on her mind.

But what?

I was sitting with her in the library, she was staring down at her work and when I looked over at it, I noticed it was completely blank. She hadn't answered anything on it.

" you good?" I asked her, for like the billionth time. I was hoping to get an honest answer out of her soon.

She snapped out of her thoughts and nodded, " err..yeah. I'm fine,"

I tilted my head a little, looking at her concerned, " Celeste you don't look fine," I said quietly.

She looked at me for a brief second and then stared down at the paper in front of her again. She sighed quietly and ran her hands through her hair.

" I am," she said," seriously, I've just...just got some stuff on my mind,"

I nodded, wanting to know a little more, " anything I can help with?" I asked her, resting my arm on the table.

She shook her head and smiled a little, " not really, but thanks for the offer Mattia,"

It was so annoying that I didn't know what she was going through right now. She's so secretive and always prefers to keep things quiet. And maybe that's worked well for her in the past, but I don't think it is now. It must be exhausting keeping everything to yourself.

The bell rang and she started to pack her things up to get to class, she still looked a little lost in thought.

We were going to English, when she stopped suddenly in the corridor. I turned to look at her, " What's w-"

" I need to go home," she said quickly, interrupting me.

My brows furrowed a little, " but why-"

" I just have to do something," she answered. She rubbed her forehead, " can you tell miss Johnson I wasn't feeling well?" I nodded and she smiled at me, " thanks,"

And without saying anything else, she walked off in the opposite end of the corridor, heading towards the school exit.

She left me in even more confusion than I was in before. And I had this weird gut feeling that something bad was going to happen. I rarely see her look worried or act edgy, so I couldn't help but feel tense myself.

I wanted to know what was bothering her so badly, but I knew she'd never tell me.

I headed to English, slightly annoyed that she wasn't going to be there. I knew I was going to be bored for the whole hour.

And I doubt I was going to pay attention at all.

****

" so I take it things between Jasmine and you are going well now?" Kai asked me, as we were walking out of school, " the doubts are gone right?"

I nodded not really paying attention to him. I was still wondering what had made Celeste leave early from school. Yep, even though I was thinking about it for half the day, I still couldn't think of an answer.

I had a feeling it had something to do with her mom though.

" and you're both still happy together?" Ale asked.

I nodded, " yeah,"

Maybe I could call her? And ask again if everything's ok. Maybe I could ask if she needs anything?

No I can't do that.

She'll only lie to me again.

I should go to her house instead. That way if she is lying to me about something I'll be able to tell.

" squirrels taste way better than camels, don't they Mattia?" Kai asked.

I nodded again, " yeah totally,"

Yeah, that's what I'll do. I'll go see her.

But should I go now, or around 7pm when it's time for my tutoring?

I felt someone smack the back of my head, and I held it, tutting in pain. I turned to look at Kai and Ale, " what was that for?" I asked, wondering which one of them did it.

" that's for not paying attention," Kai said pointing at me, " I'm trying to ask about your troubled loved life and you're not even listening to me,"

" I...I'm sorry,"I said, " I've just got something else on my mind right now,"

" and that is?" Ale asked, both him and Kai waiting for answer.

" nothing," I said shaking my head.

They both looked at me and then at each other, " are you sure Mattia?" Kai asked, " you look a little stressed out,"

Ale nodded agreeing with him," yeah. It's not the tutoring is it? that girl isn't stressing you out?"

" that girl has a name, and it's Celeste," I snapped at him, " and no she's not stressing me out,"

Well something about her is. This thing she's trying to keep away from me.

Ale and Kai looked at each other baffled, " damn, alright. Why the hell are you getting all defensive for?" Kai asked.

We got to my car, Kai sat in the passenger seat and ale sat in the back.

" I'm not getting defensive. I just don't like how everyone acts as if they don't know who she is, or that she's someone you can easily forget," I said, sounding slightly irritated.

I hated when people acted as if they couldn't remember someone's name because they thought it was cool. It just made them look dumb.

Kai and ale looked at each other again and I started feeling less angry, and more nervous. They were both sharing too many curious looks with each other.

" is there something you wanna tell us?" Ale said, sitting up, and he held onto the heads of Kai's and I's seats.

I shook my head, "no,"

I started the car, and focussed on getting my car out of the car park.

" you sure?" Kai asked.

I nodded, " Positive,"

The last thing I needed was for these two to find out that I still had my doubts about Jasmine.

I didn't need them to know about my feelings for Celeste as well, it would make things so messy and difficult for me.

I wanted Celeste to be the first person to know about my feelings for her, and I wasn't planning on telling her anytime soon. Maybe never actually.

So as long as she doesn't know, no one else will either.

****

Short chapter ik🙄I'll make up for it tomorrow