Part 22

Mattia pov

I drove to her house around 7pm, thinking it'd be the best time to show up. I figured the last thing she needed was for me to keep pestering her and asking why she walked out of school today.

I was about to knock on the door but it opened up and I was confused as to why it was left open.

I walked in and I could hear Celeste arguing with someone, I think it might've been her mom. I saw max and the twins, standing in the corridor looking a little scared.

I guess my gut feeling was right. Something bad did happen.

I walked up to them and they all turned to look at me, " are you all ok?" I asked them, looking at them concerned. I was hoping non of them were hurt or anything.

The three of them nodded, though I could tell the twins were a little frightened and max looked worried. I crouched down to the twins' level.

" everything's going to be fine, ok?" I said to them both reassuringly,and they nodded. I stood back up and looked at max, " you should go to your neighbours house for a while,"

" but Celeste-"

" don't worry about her," I said to max, " I'll make sure she's alright." He nodded and he took the twins and walked out to their next door neighbours house.

I could still hear Celeste and her mother yelling at each other. I thought it was best to just stay out her and only intervene if anything happened to her.

" you think I wouldn't find out?!" Celeste asked her angrily, " ma you really took all my money, and for what? what did you do with it?"

I realised that's probably what her mom came for the last time we saw her. She must've taken money and that's probably why Celeste has been tense all week.

" that's not your problem," her mom answered her.

" it is," and I could hear the hurt in her voice a little, " ma that money's for bills and food. I earned all that to take care of us all." I heard someone pacing around, " you can't keep doing this. When are you going to fix yourself up and act like a proper mom?"

" I do act like a proper mom. I'm the adult her Celeste, not you. You can't tell me what to do in my own house!"

" if you're the adult here why am I paying the bills? Why am I fending for the kids and working my ass off to keep us all together? Why am I doing everything that you should be doing?!"

" stop making this about yourself," her mom said to her, " you're seriously complaining about doing a little work around the house?"

Celeste scoffed, " I can't believe you. I can't believe how selfish you're being right now. Ma if you keep acting like this social services could get involved," her tone was more serious and she wasn't yelling now, "they're going to take away max, Leo and Ava. Is that what you want?"

It went quiet. A deafening type of silence and I didn't know what was going on in there anymore.

" ma? Is that what you want?" My expression saddened when I realised she was crying now. I could tell by her voice she was, " Do you want us to be split up?" She asked again, " ma-"

" I don't care!" Her mother yelled out. I heard moving around and I backed away from the door and moved out of the way. Her mother stormed out and she opened the front door, " I don't give a fuck about any of you anymore, I'm sick and tired of you guys!"

She looked at me and then back at Celeste, not really caring that I was here, " I don't want the responsibility anymore. You wanna act like the adult, fine. I'm leaving,"