Part 20

Celeste pov

Thankfully traffic wasn't too bad today, so I got home from work fairly quickly.

It was a little hesitant leaving Mattia alone with the kids. It's really nice of him to offer but something about him spending too much time around my place is bugging me. I don't know what it was.

You'd think I'd be happy about having my crush over often, and I probably would be. But there's still so much about me that I didn't want him to know about.

When I got home the twins were sitting on the dining table doing some of their homework. Mattia was sitting with them, helping them both out a little and seeing that made me smile.

" wheres Max?" I asked mattia.

" he's in his room. Said he preferred doing work in there," I nodded understanding.

I went upstairs to get changed and I walked past Max's room. He turned to see me and he looked so relieved for some reason.

" what's up with y-"

" ma came today," he said interrupting me.

My eyes widened a little and I walked into his room, " what? She didn't do anything in front of-"

" no," he said shaking his head and I sighed, " she's up to something though," he said, " I feel like she did something,"

I sat down on his bed, opposite him, " you're probably just overthinking Max," I said to him. I don't know what she could've done, " what gave you that idea?"

" I don't know," he said shrugging a little, " the way she came looked a little rushed, like she came to get something. She looked a little shocked that we were home, but she ignored us after,"

I nodded, " did she take anything?" I asked him. He shrugged in response, " like clothes, or her passport?"

" I went to her room and it looked exactly how she left it," he said, " she wasn't carrying anything heavy with her, so I don't think she's going anywhere abroad,"

I nodded again and stood up, " well you forget about it, ok?" I said ruffling his hair, " you don't need to worry about ma, she's my problem, not yours,"

I didn't want Max to grow up quickly like I did. I didn't want him to think about any of this stuff and then regret wasting his childhood.

" I feel like he knows now that's something going on," Max said before I left my room, no doubt talking about Mattia.

" he's been here a while. I know he knows a lot more than we want him to," I answered.

He's not stupid. He's probably realised mama isn't here at all, and she's not doing a good job taking care of her kids. He knows that I pay the bills as well as take care of the kids, and he probably knows dad isn't here at all either.

" you think we should worry about it?" Max asked.

I looked back at him, " like I said Max, you don't need to worry about anything," I said to him, " I'll handle it, ok?" He nodded and I smiled at him.

I went downstairs to start making dinner. It didn't take too long since I had already decided what to make before I came home.

I left max with the twins and I went upstairs with Mattia, to start working on our English project.

I kept yawning and I tried holding a few in, I was just really tired today.

" you want me to go?" Mattia asked, " you sound tired, I could always come tomorrow," he answered.

I shook my head, " no it's ok," I answered, " plus I'd rather get it finished today. I feel like you must get sick of being here often,"

" not really," he said, smiling a little, " I like hanging around your place."

" really?" I asked him, " why?"

He shrugged," I don't know, I just like spending time here. You're a good person to be around, and it's never boring when I'm talking to you,"

Dammit, I could feel my cheeks heating up and I didn't know what to do. I smiled back in response thinking of something to say.

Quick Celeste think of something to say!

" err...so Ava told me you guys played football today," I said randomly.

Yup great save, genius

I felt like hitting my head with a hammer.

He didn't look fazed by it. His smile just widened and he nodded, " yeah." He started to think about it and he laughed a little to himself, " she's actually pretty good. But she's so aggressive, and really stubborn,"

I laughed a little.

" no seriously, she was so adamant to winning, and she was not backing down to Leo  at all," he added and I smiled, " she reminds me of you a lot,"

" me?" I was a little confused because I didn't think I was anything like Ava.

He nodded, " definitely. You both look so shy and quiet and then BOOM, the most stubborn conversationalist I know,"

I laughed, and I found it funny how that's how he saw me now. And to think, I couldn't even breath when he use to walk past me, now I'm the most chattiest around him.

He started to laugh a little when he saw me laugh and then I realised how close we were sitting next to each other.

Why did we always end up sitting like this?

I stopped laughing slowly, and I realised there wasn't enough room for me to move my chair away.

" are you ok?" He looked at me curiously," you look tense," he said, his face getting closer to mine.

I nodded, " I'm fine," I said quietly.

He still didn't look away and his eyes latched onto mine. I don't know why he'd make it worse by doing this. Why couldn't he just look away to make this less awkward?

I stood up suddenly and he moved his head back. I put my hand on the back of my neck and I looked at the floor, " er..I'm going to-"

" let me guess," he said interrupting me. He was smirking a little and he was spinning his pen in his hand, " get some water?"

How did he know that?

I nodded, " yeah. You want anything?" I asked him.

His smile widened and he looked down at his lap. He shook his head, " no thanks,"

I nodded and I left the room so I could take a little break from being away from him. Being around him all the time was nice but so exhausting sometimes.

*****

How are y'all doing?