Multiversal Romance Series: Letter

Universe 234

This takes place after oneshot 'Strawberry'

The wind blew calmly and not too coldly, blowing away the leaves not caring if whether they were still vivid green or already lifeless yellow. The lake settled down in a relaxed motion, clean and sparkling like a mirror.

The day was quite sweltering and yellowish orange like burning fire that painted the sky, and Chaeyoung sat on a wooden bench, her eyes glued to the sight of the beautiful sky view even though there was not a single star like there was at night.

Chaeyoung let out a small breath from her lips and relaxed her tense shoulders, resting her folded legs while looking down at the lake which was still clean. She saw numerous fish, whatever fish that were swimming freely in their natural habitat.

The girl grinned a little seeing how happy the fish were swimming, and took something out of her pocket. A slightly yellowish crumpled paper.

She readied herself, and with trembling hands, Chaeyoung opened the quadrupled paper, and there were several writings which she immediately recognized whose handwriting they were.

'Chaengie the strawberry-loving tiger,

If this letter has reached your grasp, it means it's time for you to let me go and learn to live without my hug.

I don't know why I myself who like to write suddenly forgot how to write letters haha ​

I'm so sorry, Chaengie if all this time I couldn't tell you where I had been, I didm't want your heart to break just by looking at my condition when you were looking for me these pasy months. I couldn't bear to see you who are so cheerful and colorful turning colorless and fragile ash due to this weak little girl.

Remember the first time you moved to my school? When we first met? Yes, it was also the first time in my life that I ended up staring at someone for more than ten seconds. Be proud of me honey, because I never looked at anyone other than eomma and appa :>

Also, remember when I spent hours of broken bones just to look for the strawberries that you craved so much for? Then we argued about who sent the letter about you being sick and wanted strawberries? Until now I still think that it's a letter written by someone who wanted to determine our destiny, someone who really wanted to bring us together.

But I also realized, if it turns out that even if there was someone like that, there was also someone who wanted to determine our destiny by separating us. I don't know since when this strange disease appeared, since when I started to get short of breath easily and spit out blood every single day, and every time I was like that, I always thought about you so that my disease subsided and my health returned to stability. But I know, it's just delaying the fate that awaited me.

Chaengie-ah, do you know? You are the reason I love life, you are the reason I believe that happiness can truly be granted with sincere love.

I always look up at the night sky expecting the beautiful stars, and when I'm with you, I realize that turns out that the stars I had hoped for are beautifully shining in your eyes. Your eyes contain the Universe only I can enter and sink into.

Chaengie-ah, you are the flashlight that illuminates the darkness of my day without the need for batteries, a beautiful candle that will never melt.

You are not the rainbow that beautifies the rain, but you are the reason why the rainbow can beautify the rain.

Please, Chaengie, take care of yourself. Eat well, don't stay up late, it's not healthy. Listen to your eomma's words, be a good child arasseo?

Mianhae, I can't accompany you until the end of life, maybe our journey ends here.

Sayonara, my favorite troublemaker.

-Mina who only looks at Chaeyoung'

And at that moment Chaeyoung went broken, the hand that was holding the letter Mina gave weakened and she put the letter to the side. Chaeyoung's eyes began to turn glassy due to the sunshine before being followed by a continuous stream of tears, clouding her eyes.

She began to feel choked off of air and tried to control her ruffled breath, hating herself for not trying so much harder to find Mina's whereabouts when she left without a word, hating herself for not being able to be by her lover's side the moment she breathed her last.

It should have been her who was holding Mina's warm hand that began to turn cold, it should have been her who comforted her and showed her love that knew no weakness, but Mina left without Chaeyoung's company when she was lying limply on the mattress that accommodated her weak body.

"Why didn't you tell me that you have a disease? Why didn't you tell me where you had been? I'd been looking for you in Seoul for months, at your house, even in all the hospitals here, but still you weren't even reachable." Chaeyoung sobbed intensely, slapping herself on the cheek out of the hatred she had against herself for failing to be a worthy lover.

She looked up at the sky, imagining Mina was there looking at her.

"At least let me say goodbye to you, Mina, even though that's the last thing I'd be willing to tell you."

Her vision grew blurry, and Chaeyoung felt very dizzy as a result of being immersed in intense pain.

Without her knowing, a woman slowly came over to her, and sat beside Chaeyoung, holding and stroking her shoulders as if to comfort her. Chaeyoung was too drowned in grief to notice that the woman who was comforting her had the exact same face as her, albeit with short black hair, and a skinnier face.

Imagining that it was just her hallucination or perhaps just Mina in the form of a spirit looking like her, Chaeyoung smiled a little before weakening herself and leaning her head on the shoulder of the other woman who turned out to be Chaeyoung of Universe 304.

"Mina...." Chaeyoung muttered unknowingly, still thinking that the woman beside her, her 'twin', was her lover.

Chaeyoung of Universe 304 could only be silent, not muttering any other word, her face which had a flat expression as if she didn't really care. Still, she stroked the girl's shoulder.

"You have to find someone else for your happiness, Son Chaeyoung. There's no point in wasting your sincere love for someone like Myoui Mina." said the other Chaeyoung without hesitation. "Look, Mina left you without a word, and didn't even want you to at least say goodbye to her. Your love for Mina isn't real, Chaeyoung."

Chaeyoung was still silent and didn't understand anything that came out of the mouth of the girl whom she thought was his lover.

"H-huh? M-Mi-"

"Forget Mina. All Myoui Minas are evil women whose role is only as a disease for all Son Chaeyoungs. Mark my words, Chaeyoung, mark my words." stated 'Devil' Chaeyoung before standing up, her back facing the other Chaeyoung who was still crying mourning the loss of Mina. "Just wait. In time, you will wake up, sooner or later." she added before disappearing.