Chapter Seven: An Unplanned 'Sleepover'

That night, Doc sat in front of the T.V, but he wasn't paying attention to what was on. Instead, he was fiddling with his fingers while a deep red stayed fixated on his cheeks.

He couldn't stop thinking about... earlier.

Doc wasn't going to lie to himself, he knew if he could he'd be with Angel right now, hero form or not. But he couldn't help but wonder if the villain also wanted to establish a relationship between them. And if so, how well would that work out?

Suddenly his phone rang and he jumped. Once he checked who was calling him he answered.

"Xisuma, is everything okay?" he asked, turning off the television.

"I really need your help."

"Are you talking about this project that Warlock and Angel are after?"

"Yes," he firmly answered. Feeling more alert, the hybrid stood up, already heading for his costume. "After hearing about the energy core Angel took today, I know all they're missing are the blueprints, and it's only a matter of time until they find them. I no longer trust the safety of my new vault."

He had set down his phone for a second to pull out the costume, but he quickly picked it back up to shoot a careful question. "X what exactly would I be looking for? What's this project that Angel and Warlock are so wrapped up about?"

On the other side of the call, he could make out the creaking of Xisuma's chair - as he was most likely leaning back - and let out a small breath. "It was supposed to help boost immune systems and give people stronger cells to fight rare and deadly diseases," he began to explain. "I was working closely with a certain scientist on this project, as it was mainly his dream. I just wanted to help him but- listen, Dynamight. If I'm correct, Warlock and Angel are going to use this machine to boost their immunity and make them invincible against their weakness. And if they manage to figure out how, I'm positive they'll be able to boost their powers as well. Please don't let that happen."

Doc was already out the door, a small drawstring bag on his back and coat covering his costume. "Don't worry, I'll find your plans and keep them safe," he promised.

"No. I want you to destroy them. There's no saving this project," Xisuma firmly decided.

-

After hiding the bag with his civilian clothes, he hurried to the given location as fast as possible.

Once the hero arrived at the facility, he followed the instructions and headed straight for the basement. However, upon approaching the door to the safe room, he found the door cracked ajar. And when he opened, he found the knocked-out guards slumped up against the wall next to the door.

And across the room stood Warlock, pulling a rolled-up blueprint out of a shelf with Angel floating next to his shoulder. The two snapped their heads towards Dynamight.

"You're not getting out of here with that," he threatened. Warlock whispered something to his sidekick while keeping his eyes on the hooded hero. He watched as a grin formed on the tan villain's face while his feet touched the ground.

Pulling the dagger out from behind his back, Angel twirled the weapon in his hand before throwing it at him. Dynamight stepped to the side and watched it fly past his face and sink into the wall outside the door. He glanced back over to make a sarcastic remark regarding his aim, but immediately a crystal was smashed at his feet.

Yellow mist swirled around him and he tried to fan it away. But by the time it disappeared the effects were already in place. His whole body was hit with a tidal wave of exhaustion and his eyelids grew heavy. He blinked, trying to resist the pull of sleep. The hero stumbled, watching in a haze as the villain in white walked over to him. He tried to push him away but felt his body slump against his. He's warm, he fondly thought, lazily burying his face in his shoulder. Feeling ironically safe in his enemy's arms he allowed sleep to overtake him.