Chapter Eighteen: Angel's Choice

The moment Angel returned to the base, the plan was set in motion.

He first saw Pharoah, who exchanged a small nod with him.

And then he found Warlock finishing the machine.

"I'm back," he announced, gaining his attention.

His boss glanced at him and scoffed. "Took you long enough, come here."

Once he walked over he was instructed to help find some nails of the right size in the pile of bolts and nails. As he handed over pieces, Scar began lecturing him. "I expected a lot better from you. I know for a fact you could've come back a lot sooner. Care to explain why you didn't?"

His stomach lurched with anxiety and his heart began to race.

I can say it. I can do this.

"I didn't want to," he explained, taking a small step back.

Scar laughed, turning around to grab his chin. "Want to run that by me again?"

Keeping his expression still, he stared at him. "I said I didn't want to come back. Ironically, I felt safer tied up in a warehouse than I do here with you."

Fingernails dug into his skin as Warlock flared his nostrils. "You ungrateful brat," he hissed. "Maybe I should tie you up then, hm? How would you feel if I bound you by iron chains? Would that make you feel safer here?"

He swallowed, taking a small step closer. "Try your worst," he whispered, a smirk forming on his face.

Clicking his tongue, Warlock shoved him to the ground and kicked his side, knocking the wind out of him. "It's sad, really, how I don't even need to use my magic to beat you," he taunted, stomping a foot on his chest.

Angel blinked as tears clouded his vision, but he refused to cry out.

The sound of the ceiling exploding was practically heavenly music to his ears. As bits of the ceiling fell, so did Dynamight, landing behind Scar. "Oh hey, this thing looks familiar," he commented, pointing to the machine.

As Pharaoh came rushing in, his boss grasped his shirt and pulled him up. "Are you going to help or not?"

"Oh I'll help," he nodded. "Just not you."

Grabbing his arm, he twisted it so Warlock was bending over, but the wizard stomped on his foot and grabbed his hair, shoving him face-first towards the ground. "Useless piece of shit," he heard him mutter.

With a shaky breath, he created a flurry of bubbles out of his back, guiding them to distract Pharaoh and Warlock.

Someone helped him to his feet and he quickly squeezed Doc's hand before pulling away. "I'll cover you," he said, stepping in front of him as he pulled out his knives.

"Decided to try playing hero, huh?" Warlock sneered, brushing away the bubbles.

"No, I just want to watch you burn."

Extending both arms towards him, Pharaoh clapped his hands creating a large gust of wind. He crossed his arms in front of his face, digging his feet into the ground as he quickly encompassed Pharaoh in a bubble. Angel flicked him up towards the ceiling, popping the bubble so his back hit the top but when he fell the villain caught himself.

He heard Dynamight ripping apart the machine and laughed as he saw the anger burning in Warlock's glare.

The wizard tossed three different crystals at his feet, and he frantically caught the orange in a bubble. He flinched, gritting his teeth as the pink crystal stung his skin and the yellow blinded his vision. Unsure what to do with the dangerous crystal, he clutched the bubble against his chest.

He created a wall of bubbles, pushing them out from all over to block the two from him and Dynamight. "Brace yourself," the hero muttered, followed shortly by the sound of an explosion. A hand wrapped around him and pulled him down and as they dropped to their knees he shielded them in a red bubble.

"And the blueprints?" He quietly asked.

The hybrid clenched his fist, smoke seeping between his fingers. Once he opened his hand, he dropped a small pile of ash. "Gone."

The moment the bubble dropped and the two got up, Warlock lunged at him and knocked him to the ground.

"Angel!" Doc shouted, but Pharaoh was immediately on him.

"I don't know what little stunt you're trying to pull but you're going to pay big time," Scar shouted, pinning his arms down with his knees and holding his throat with one hand.

His energy had been quickly depleting since the first bubble flurry so flying was out of the question.

A pathetic cry escaped his throat as he struggled from underneath Scar. His former boss picked up the bubble and popped it, the crystal dropping in his hand. "I'm going to make you useful one last time. I don't care if you succeed or fail because afterward, I might just kill you if you're lucky."

He crushed the crystal in his hand and dropped the remnants onto Bdubs' face. Against his will, he inhaled the orange smoke and a familiar pain touched every nerve in his body.

As much as he wanted to scream, he screwed his eyes shut and took deep breaths, feeling the hand on his throat let go. Thoughts entered his mind talking to him with a voice that wasn't his own. Scar climbed off of him but the overwhelming pain kept him pinned down.

Although his strength returned, so that was a plus.

-

Huffing, Dynamight threw Pharaoh across the room, watching as his back hit the wall. Snapping towards Bdubs and Warlock, he watched in horror as Angel was whimpering on the ground in pain.

"What did you do?!" He shouted, grabbing Warlock's collar. The villain smirked, raising his chin.

"Oh, nothing you aren't familiar with. You boys have fun now!"

A portal opened behind him and he knocked Dynamight's arm off of him, shoving him towards Bdubs. He entered the portal and when he checked, Pharaoh was gone too.

"Angel?" He whispered, looking down at the man he fell on top of. "Please, listen to me, you're okay, it's going to be okay."

Angel's eyes flew open, and he could only watch as the orange color swirled around his irises, slowly consuming the brown and green.

"Get out, go hide. This'll be over soon," Bdubs hoarsely whispered, shaking as he sat up.

"Bdubs I can't j-"

"I'll be fine," he insisted through gritted teeth, stumbling as he stood up. His eyes closed as he aggressively breathed out his nose, tightly hugging himself and hunching over.

Clenching his fists, he took a step back despite a voice in his head screaming at him to do something. But he knew better and began moving towards the door. But before he could even leave the room he watched as Angel hastily jumped into the air and flew out of the building.

He slowly walked towards the hole he had created when he arrived, he squinted but couldn't see him.

I hope he's okay