Poison: Part One

"What is food to one is to others bitter poison." - Lucretius

Cases involving children are never your strong suit. The last one with Billie Copeland was just so hard, you're not sure if you can be involved in another one–that is until you learned what this case is really all about. Yes, there is a child involved, but the bigger picture has a much larger scale than children.

You have to remind yourself that you need to focus on the case and not on Spencer. It shouldn't even be a hard thing to do, but something happened between you two when you took him to the bookstore right next to your apartment. After checking out a couple of books, and after Spencer had read virtually all of them, you decided it was kind of late and that you needed to get home. The store was closing very soon anyway, so Spencer opted to walk you home.

When you got to your door, he decided to give you a kiss on your cheek, but you moved your head at the last minute. He accidentally got the corner of your mouth, and that messed up his whole thing. Based on his reaction to your mouths almost touching, you know he can't be that interested in you. If he were, then he would have just kissed you right there and then. Instead, he stuttered a goodbye and left.

You haven't been able to stop thinking about him since. Does he like you? If so, then why won't he just kiss you? If he doesn't, then why does he agree to go on these dates with you. Whenever you two go out, you clearly state that this is a date, and he doesn't say anything that dismisses that idea. Sometimes, you just wish you knew what was going on inside that big brain of his so you can dejumble it and tell him what the fuck is going on. You'd do it now, but you have a case that needs your full attention.

Apparently, a man and his son were driving down the road one night when the father pulled to the side of the road and got out. He walked into the woods, the son followed after him, and the father beat him almost to death. The son is in the hospital undergoing critical care while the father is in the psych ward. You're not sure how it happened or why, but you know that it did. Hotch and Gideon got hold of the interrogation video sent over by the New Jersey Police Department.

Detective Hanover is the person who is going to be in charge and is also the person who you will be working with the entire time you're in Jersey.

"State trooper took this before the paramedics showed up," the detective says and shows Jack Fisher, the father of Eric Fisher, a picture of his unconscious body. "He's unconscious and has four broken bones. He's gonna be in the hospital for a month."

"I didn't hurt my son," Jack sighs.

"Do you remember removing the tire iron from the trunk?"

What, he used a tire iron? You gasp softly and put your hand to your mouth as you continue to watch.

"No! No!"

"What's the last thing you remember?"

"I picked Eric up from school on Friday, for the weekend. Who would do this?" he cries softly.

Hotch ends the video there and addresses the entire briefing room.

"This happened two days ago in Beechwood, New Jersey. Mr. Fisher had ingested LSD one afternoon and didn't come down until eighteen hours later."

"The hospital reported six other patients who ingested LSD in the last twenty-four hours. The hospital called the CDC, then the CDC called us," JJ finishes.

"So, a bunch of people got spiked. What makes it a BAU case?" Derek wonders.

"They each received ten to twenty times the normal dose."

"That's enough to kill a small child," Spencer informs.

"Or cause a grown man to try and kill him with a tire iron apparently," you sigh.