Somebody's Watching: Part Two

To get the team up to speed while on the plane, you're on the phone with them to talk about the case with them. You didn't have to, but it's better than sitting in your own self-pity and jealously about Spencer. Yes, it's still bothering you, but only because you're still in LA. Had you gone home when you were supposed to, then it might have been out of your mind.

"The first two victims, Wally Melman and Chloe Harris were both killed in public places," you say over the phone.

"Chloe was killed while walking her dog on the beach in Santa Monica which she did every morning," JJ takes over. They probably have the case files right in front of them. "Wally was killed outside of a massage parlor in Culver City, which he went to every Tuesday."

"If he knows their schedules, maybe that means he follows his victims for a while," Derek says, scoffing at the end. "Not a single witness."

"So, we know this unsub can blend in. Regardless of the location, he has the ability to hide in plain sight. He's meticulous."

"The media's calling Natalie Ryan's murder the biggest celebrity homicide since Sharon Tate," JJ comments.

"What does that mean for us?" Elle wonders.

"That everyone will be watching," you sigh. "We won't do anything without you, but it'd be nice if you hurried."

You hang up with a sigh and look over at Spencer and Gideon. They're talking about the case, probably, but it's getting really hard to focus on this case. Why did Spencer look at Lila like that? More importantly, why doesn't he look at you like that? You really wanted to take that leap and make a move, but now you're not so sure anymore. How can you when there is a chance Spencer doesn't feel the same way about you as you do to him? The faster you get through this case, the faster you get to go home.

It takes the team a few more hours to get to the station, but when they do, it's all business.

"This guy's an assassin?" Kim asks, kicking off the discussion.

"When you look at the victimology, there are no obvious links. All the kills are clean except in the instance of the last victim, Jeremy Collins," Derek answers.

"There's absolutely no evidence left at the crime scene. There's no DNA, no manifestation of psycho-sexual release, and there's no detectable signature of any kind," Elle adds.

"Remember, our profiles are formulated not just by what's present at the scene but, also what's absent."

"From all the evidence that we've gathered, we believe that you're looking for a type-four assassin," you say.

"Type four?"

"There are four types. Type ones are political assassins like John Wilkes Booth. Type twos are egocentrics looking for simple recognition. Type threes are psychopathic cold-blooded killers who leave far messier scenes. Finally, type four, our unsub, suffers from a major mental disorder and is frequently delusional," you explain.

"The closer we come to figuring out that delusion, the closer we'll get to finding the unsub," Spencer adds.

"What's he going to be doing until we do?" Kim questions.

"Finding other victims," Gideon answers.

A knock comes from the door, and your entire team looks over to see who it is. A middle-aged man stands there nervously with a newspaper in his hands. He's unsure about something like he's unsure if he is making the right decision or not.

"Excuse me. Is there a detective Kim here?"

"Right here."

"You're heading the investigation into the Natalie Ryan murder?"