Chapter 28: Misunderstandings

For the first time in my life, I don't feel like dancing. Everything just seems wrong. The music is wrong. The movements are wrong. The emotion is wrong. Everything is all wrong! I slump against the mirrors until I land in a sitting position and bring my knees up to my chest then wrap my arms around them. I let out a shaky sigh, why does everything feel so wrong? I don't know why I think that though, I already know the answer. But that's the reason why I'm here, attempting to dance away all the bad feelings, that's the reason why I feel so out of place. It's supposed to work, dancing away my stress, but it doesn't. For the first time, dancing doesn't help. I rest my forehead on my knees and try to push away all the thoughts that keep finding their way back in.

"Britt.." I hear someone call, but it's not who I want it to be so why bother even looking up. "Britt, what are you doing here?" The voice is closer now and by this time I know who is speaking. "You don't work today." They position themselves next to me, our bodies close but not touching. "Hey, look at me." They beg but I don't make a move. "Britt, honey, you can talk to me." By now tears have started running down my cheeks, but I can't see why I still even have tears to cry. I've cried so much already. "Oh honey, don't cry." They beg again and drape an arm around my shoulders then tug me close until my head hits the softness of their shoulder pad. "Why are you covered in soda? It smells like Dr Pepper.." They rub soothingly on my arm as my soft crying turns to body shaking sobs. "Okay never mind, cry it out girl, it's good to cry." I don't know why, but them saying that made me want to smile a bit. Just a little bit though, I'm still sad. "Just talk whenever you're ready." They say softly and comforting making me feel like I could tell them anything and everything, even the secret stuff that I haven't even said to Quinn yet. I take a peek up at them through tear filled eyes and a quivering bottom lip.

"Kurt, why can't I be good enough for her?"

3 Days Ago;

I was sitting at the kitchen counter bored out of my mind debating whether or not I should try to call Santana again. It had been 2 days since we had dinner with Quinn yet Santana was still acting weird. Yesterday was Wednesday, and being that it was a Wednesday, we were suppose to go out to Breadstix for lunch like we do every Wednesday and Friday, but we didn't. 15 minutes before we usually would meet up, she called me to tell me she couldn't get away from work so she had to cancel. Ever since we've made the tradition, we've never canceled a lunch date, until now. I believed her though, her job can be very stressful and she does get extremely busy from time to time so I didn't think anything of it. I could always wait until she got off work to see her, that's what we'd usually do anyway after we've both had busy days.

I called her again around 6:30, that's generally about the time she'd call me to come over there or tell me she's coming over here, but she didn't answer. It was weird getting her voicemail, because of all the months that I've known her; I don't think I've ever gotten her voicemail. Maybe she forgot to take her phone off vibrate; I usually do that sometimes too. I sat down on the couch with my phone in my lap waiting for a call but after 15 minutes I gave into the urge of just calling her back. Voicemail again, but this time I stayed on the phone.

"Hi baby, it's me." I said cheerfully. "You must be super busy because I don't think I've ever gotten your voicemail before, or maybe you're just taking a nap." I started to zone off to all the things that she could possibly be doing that would keep her from answering my phone call, but I quickly regained focus when I remembered that these things were timed. "Well, call me back. I miss you, bye!" I ended the call and laid the phone back down in my lap as I switched on the tv. I tried to concentrate on whatever show I was watching, but I couldn't help but keep checking my phone for a call, a text, something! But still, noth-

"Oh thank God!" I sighed as I pressed the answer button on my phone when Santana's picture popped up on my screen. "Hi!"

"Hey, sorry I missed your call." Santana said softly. "I left my phone in the car."