Chapter 29: The Reveal

Song: Bloodstream- Stateless

"I lost myself somewhere in the darkness."

+ + + + +

It's late, and I creep out of my bed.

I am sure Kol is already asleep, or at least in his room. I turn my doorknob, slipping out of my room. The hardwood floor is cold on my bare feet, and there's a draft that makes it pretty chilly in the hallway.

I need to find Niklaus.

I need to get answers.

I need to know.

It isn't that hard to guess the place I look first.

And I'm right. There in the art room is Kol's older brother, his brushstrokes on the canvas are rapid and almost hard to follow. I'm mesmerized. I barely peek throught the doorway, trying not to be too loud while I think up the best way to approach him. His back is turned to me, but I must've been breathing too loudly, because he speaks first without even looking me in the eye.

"You are brave to come here. Or pehaps, brave is just a kinder word for ingnorance."

"I get the sense you don't like me very much." I say, more bodly than usual. He's probably right about the ignorance part. He just chuckles in response, mostly ignorning me, and painting his masterpiece.

"You're very good." I observe, watching as the brush in his hand glides along the piece in progress.

"If you're here to talk art - "

"You know I'm not."

He just laughs again, more sinister than the first time, sending a chill down my back. Not in a good way. Kol said he's dangerous, I probably should've listened. He should've known, however, I never listen.

"Then what, might I ask, do you want?" His words come off in almost a low growl. A very deep growl, coming from the very back of his throat.

"I just want answers."

"And what makes you think," He stops painting, laying the brush on the easel and trurning around, his eyes scanning and analyzing my own. "I'll be the one to give them to you?"

"You don't have to pretend you're going to kill me. I know Kol made sure you won't."

"Did he?"

"Yes. He did. What was her name? Claire? Candice?"

His eyes look like they're glowing, and he bares his teeth like an animal, coming up close to my face. "Caroline." He barks. "And if you ever speak of her or her name again I will -"

"You'll what?"

"I won't kill you, no. You're right. I will torture and mangle your body while my incredibly bothersome brother watches."

I hold my ground, keeping my glare on him, then taking a step back so I'm not so close to him. Instantly, I feel my back hit a wall. No escape.

Fine. I can handle this on my own.

"Torture only works if death is the threat. You can't kill me, and you won't be able to torture me without killing me."

He smirks. "You're very smart. Regardless, we'll see who can't do the torturing."

I just roll my eyes, continuing on with my interrogation. "Something's off about your family. The whole lot of you, I want to know what it is."

"You've proven that you're clever, girl. Get on with it."

"Kol is being dodgy, but you'll give me answers, and I know he won't let you kill me. I've done my research. The same family is plastered generations after generations, over and over. The same faces and names repeat all around the world throughout history. And guess what? They. All. Look. Like. You. It doesn't happen."

"Doesn't it? Figure it out, sweetheart." He's much closer now, circling me, his lips at my ear and his scruffy face against my cheek. He's not scary anymore, but intimidating and almost... Sexy. But he eyes me like a predator eying its prey. "You don't need me for answers. You already have them, don't you? It's right in front of you, all you have to do is reach out and take it. Think."

I close my eyes, analyzing every touch, every thought, every breath, every single word. "The same faces... The only way that could happen is if..."

"Go on." Klaus taunts. "No... That's silly. It's impossible."

"Is it?"

"The only way that could happen is if you were... Immortal. If you never died. If you traveled all over the world just because you could. You all talk about killing like it's a pasttime, you talk about me like I'm ordinary and you're special, like I'm beneathe you. And Kol, he never gets cold, he knows all about me, and he calls himself a monster..."

Klaus chuckles. "Does he? How ironic."

"Tell me. Tell me what you are."

He grins, and then I really start to notice how brightly coloured his eyes are, and his teeth.

I blink, searching his face for any sign of an answer. And then the world slips from his lips, tumbling off his tongue. He has a look of pleasure when he says it, a sense of pride. He's proud that I'm even the slightest bit afraid.

"Vampire."

I know it's been months, and this cliffhanger will make you want to kill me, but I'm trying to do better XD

I love you all :)

Loves,
Mollie x