( k. wagner ) familiars

GENRE: fluff
WARNINGS: none
NOTES: this is a request from gabbyviv124, im sorry it took a while! i hope you enjoy it.
he's such an angel! ugh <33 also this is gender neutral throughout.
im working on way more stuff so stay tuned!!

___________________

You weren't sure what attracted you to Kurt at first - - whether it was his apparent innocence despite his looks, or the child-like wonder he displayed for the rest of the mutants he knew, and what they were capable of. Or maybe it was because of how kind he was, always shy, but willing to help when no one else was even there to offer.

No matter what it was, it was clear to the people around you that you and Kurt seemed to click. You had always been friendly, and your long time mates weren't exactly surprised when you took him under your wing when he first arrived at the school.

You were the one to show him around, and help him get acclimatized to not only his new life in America, but also being an average teen. You brought him to hang out with your friends, who (though, quite overwhelming for Kurt in the beginning) embraced him just like they would anyone else. They knew what it was like to be ridiculed based on a mutation, so they weren't exactly the people to tease him about his appearance - - excluding the occasional blueberry related jab from Scott.

The thing was, however, that Kurt was the kind of guy that tended to step on people's toes. Not intentionally, of course - - but that didn't matter either way. While he could teleport, he was also prone to tripping, and knocking things over. It wouldn't abnormal to hear a bang, and a crash, and Kurt's German accent yelling, 'sorry'. That meant that a lot of people weren't necessarily annoyed with him, but were weary of the ruckus he could cause.

No one was more aware of that than your animals.

The reason you'd attended Charles Xaviers' school was because of your familiars. As someone who's mutation was with a telepathic and empathic link to animals, many of them were drawn to you in a way that either a) couldn't be explained at a normal school, or b) wasn't even viable because of the safety of the students and the animals.

While you had particular animals that stuck around, such as your starling bird, your deer, your cat, and your wolf - - wild animals were much more unpredictable. If you were in a position where you felt helpless, sad or vulnerable (anything intense, really), it wouldn't be unusual for the animals in the area to flock to you. Xavier's school was one of the only places where those animals could be taken away, or made to leave safely. Also, you had help from Charles and Hank to train your technique, and allow yourself to have more control over it.