Chapter 7: Easy Day Difficult Feeling

It had been two weeks. Two weeks off of work, doing nothing but stew in her thoughts. What to do with Derek? That was one of the important ones. Do I let myself feel this? That was the recurring one. She woke up and her head dove right into it. Do I let myself feel this? Is it ok to feel this? Do I want the consequences for feeling this? What the hell do I do with this?

A constant battle raged inside her mind and try as she might it would not let up. But thankfully the two weeks were gone and tomorrow she would be back at work. Though she was not entirely sure it was a good thing. Derek would be there. There would be no hiding from him in the hospital. She needed to talk to him, she already knew that but she kept finding excuses to put it off. Yet Derek was not what really worried her, what worried her was a tall and leggy and fabulous neonatal surgeon walking about on her heels as her red hair cascaded down her shoulders. That was what worried her, because even thinking about her like that made her mouth go dry and her words jumble. So maybe going back to the hospital would not be such a great idea.

———————————————————————

Cristina had insisted tonight she would stay over and they would all go to work together. Alex had also stayed over. Everyone sat somewhere in the kitchen devouring pizza. For once in a long while all of the interns were off for the night so they were enjoying themselves.

"So?" Cristina said looking at Meredith suggestively.

"So, what?" Meredith frowned a bit in confusion.

"Are you ready?" Cristina kept on going with a mischievous grin.

"Ready for what, work? Yeah I am. Stop smiling like a maniac." Meredith protested.

"I heard Bailey say that they would start you up slow." Cristina shrugged.

"And?" Meredith replied a bit annoyed.

"Slow?" Alex asked from the other side of the kitchen island.

"Probably with an attending that doesn't have a scheduled surgery." George said as he stuffed some garlic knots.

"George you're going to choke on those. Here, drink some water." Izzie said passing him a cup.

"I don't get why you're so smug about it." Meredith said still not catching onto what Cristina was trying to say.

At that moment George, as predicted by Izzie, started to choke. Alex laughed as Izzie walked over to her best friend slapping him on the back.

"What did I tell you?" Izzie said as George kept on coughing.

"Dude." Alex barked in laughter. Meredith just watched the scene as Cristina leaned in to whisper in her ear.

"Addison Montgomery has no scheduled surgeries tomorrow." Cristina whispered and Meredith's breath caught. "Remember to breathe when you're next to her." Cristina winked at her.

"Mer are you ok?" Alex asked as he noticed how flustered she was.

"Fine." Meredith said, quickly getting up. "I'm going to go to sleep. See you tomorrow." She added as she quickly began to scurry away.

"Cristina, something wrong with Mer?" Izzie asked, a bit concerned.

"She's fine. Probably has the jitters. Anyway I'm going to bed too. George, Alex try not to be too loud tonight." Cristina said arching a brow.

"I'm sorry what?" George looked at her confused.

"I will hurt you Yang." Alex growled.

"Right. Just don't be loud." She more suggestively than before as she dodged the slice of pizza Alex had slinged her way.