Chapter 14: Pathetic

Cristina stared at her phone screen for a while after getting the message from her person. Her mind racing, she had thought she had been able to keep him at bay today. But apparently that had not been the case and so she stared at the message reading it over and over.

-Incoming Message: Twisted Mer

-Cover for Addison. He got her. Bruises. Tell Dr. Bailey and Chief. Need to stay. Don't tell Mark. Act normal.

She shook herself out of the slight shock. She knew something like this was happening, she had hoped her mind was just being paranoid but that was not the case.

Cristina grabbed a few charts, checking to ensure there were no urgent cases which would require the redhead. Then she told the nurses to only page her and not Dr. Montgomery, unless it was an emergency. She was about to leave and go looking for Dr. Bailey when she spotted Derek walking in. Taking a deep breath to steel herself she made her way towards him.

"Got lost again, Shepherd?" Cristina did her best to not sound too snarly.

"Where's my wife?" He scanned the floor quickly before settling back on her.

"She's not your wife. Dr. Montgomery was called out of the hospital." Cristina shrugged. She felt like grabbing his head and smashing it against the wall but that would not be considered acting normal as Meredith had said. But then she was sure if her person saw him he'd be on his way to surgery.

"Out of the hospital?" Derek eyed her suspiciously.

"Some emergency at Mercy West. Look, I have better things to do than stand here with you." Cristina gave him a lazy look and could see his anger flash a little before he turned and left.

"What was that about?" Mark's voice rang behind her making her flinch.

"Dammit, wear a bell or something." Cristina cursed lightly.

"Oops. Anyway, where is Addison? She looked scared earlier. I need to find out if Derek did something stupid." Mark said, looking around.

'Oh he did something stupid, alright. Just have the feeling that if I tell you this whole thing will be worse.'

"She's with Mer. Let them be. They're spending time together and that's what we wanted." Cristina did her best to not give away just why Meredith was with Addison right now and Mark seemed to buy it as he smiled brightly.

"Seems we've accomplished a great deal. How about we celebrate? What do you say? Me? You? Joe's?" Mark wrapped his arm around her shoulder.

"You wish. I'm too much of a woman for you. Now get off. I have work to do." She shook him off.

"You sure it's not because of Burke? I can ask for permission." He winked at her.

"Go drown yourself." Cristina made a face and left him, hoping he would not go looking for the pair.

———————————————————————

Making her way down to the E.R., after being told that Bailey had gone over, she could hear the resident fuming and with reason since Meredith was nowhere to be found.

"I gave her an assignment. First she waltzes around with a patient and now she's missing." Bailey spat.

"Dr. Bailey." Cristina called.

"I swear when I find Meredith Grey she'll regret having been born." Bailey continued bitterly.

"Dr. Bailey." Cristina called once more.