Chapter 27: Deferred Conversations

"Addison!"

"Addison!"

Why did she keep walking away? Why was she getting further and further away? 

"Addison!"

Wait, where was she? She was right there. Where did she go? Everything was fine. So why did she leave? She needed to find her. Where was she?

"Addie! Addison! Addison!" 

Meredith woke with a jolt yet again, her cheeks wet with tears. Breathing heavily she looked around her dimly lit room. She knew it was almost morning judging by the light coming from the window. She still had Addison's arm wrapped around her waist which came as a relief. Furiously she brushed away her tears trying to even her breathing.

"Mer?" Addison called sleepily behind her and she turned to face her.

"I'm sorry." She apologized shakily.

"It's ok." Addison gave her a sleepy smile. "Same dream?" She asked, placing a soft kiss on her forehead.

"Yeah." Meredith sighed. "It's stupid. I know you're not leaving but..."

"But?" Addison prompted shuffling even closer than she already was.

"I'm happy, Addie." Meredith bit her lip. "I think I'm subconsciously waiting for the other shoe to drop. I don't know. I'm too complicated."

"Hmm. Come here." Addison said, pulling her towards her and wrapping her arms around her. "The other shoe already dropped. And we picked it up. And I don't know about you but those heels look amazing." She smirked.

"Addie." Meredith whined but chuckled.

"I'm happy too, dummy. Why would I leave?" Addison asked and then her eyes grew hesitant. "I mean we don't... anyway," She smiled and kissed her forehead. "That dream was actually nice though."

"How could a dream like that be nice?" Meredith frowned, ignoring the questions that arose with the redhead's hesitance.

"Well... it woke you up before your alarm." Addison said, raising her brows and pointing at the alarm clock.

As if it were magic the alarm went off and she groaned rolling her eyes. She buried her face in Addison's neck, the vanilla scent filling her nose while the redhead chuckled and shut the alarm off.

"Come on. We'll be late." Addison said pulling away and she let out another groan. "Don't groan at me. It's not my fault."

"Five more minutes?" Meredith begged.

"Mer it's never five minutes." Addison chuckled.

"Please." She gave her her best lost puppy impression and then it was the redhead's turn to groan.

"Fine. But if we're late I'll tell Bailey to give you scut and put you in charge of discharges." Addison warned.

"That's mean." Meredith whined.

"Stick to the five minutes and I won't have to be." Addison grinned, wrapping her arms around her. "Do not fall asleep, Meredith Grey." She warned, making her giggle.

***

Meredith was late. It had been two minutes late but late nonetheless. Especially to one Dr. Miranda Bailey. It had not even been her fault though. Addison and her had gotten to the hospital early enough for her to make rounds on time. However, her lovely girlfriend had wanted a kiss and then another and then another and then... it was too late. Thus there she sat sifting through charts and labs and reports.