Chapter 17: Blurred Memories

"You two are impossible. First, you practically force us to go home together alone and then you show up here? What the hell?" She had received a mound of texts from both Cristina and Mark, who apparently had her number though she never gave it to him.

"I'm sorry. I'm just worried. McDreary could show up at any time and it's just the two of you." Cristina explained.

"There's strength in numbers." Mark added with a drunken smile.

"Are you both drunk?" Meredith asked them shaking her head.

"I'm just tipsy." Cristina said quickly but her glassy eyes told another story.

"I'm not... I'm a little drunk. But I can still throw a mean punch." Mark smirked.

"Sure, Captain Hook." Cristina retorted.

"You can go be drunk somewhere else. Addison just went to bed and I don't want anything to bother her." Meredith said and was about to close the door on their faces when Cristina burst in.

"I'm staying here and I'll protect my person and her new other person." The brunette announced to a stunned Meredith.

"That couch looks comfy. I'll sleep there." Mark said as he too made his way in and plopped himself on the couch with a grin.

"Fine. You two are insufferable." Meredith huffed, shutting and locking the door.

"It's ok 'cause you love me already." Cristina said heading towards the stairs as Mark hummed.

"Wait. Where are you going?" Meredith caught up with her at the bottom of the steps.

"To Izzie's room." Cristina replied.

"Addison's in there. You'll have to sleep at George's or down here with Mark." Meredith shrugged.

"But..." She began to protest.

"But nothing. I'd say sleep in my bed but I have a feeling that..." Meredith stopped suddenly as she heard Addison's voice.

"Meredith, please!" Her voice came out muffled through the hallway above.

Mark got to them quickly, looking around everywhere and then up the stairs. Meredith bolted up followed by Cristina and Mark. She opened the door slightly and noticed Addison's tear stained face, her eyes tightly shut and stuck between shouting and mumbling her name. She felt the pang in her heart as she understood that the redhead was having a nightmare. She knew what kind of nightmare it was too, which made her feel even worse. She threw a look at the other two for them to leave. Cristina looked worried but nodded quickly and began to leave then stopped, waiting for Mark. As for Mark, she could see the same anger and frustration and just plain sadness she herself was feeling. It was as if he was stuck until Cristina tugged him along.

***

Once she saw them turning the corner to go down the stairs she entered the room. Addison was still trashing around and calling for her to wake up. It hurt so damn much to see this, to be a witness to what Derek Shepherd had managed to do to someone that had always seemed untouchable. But enough thinking about him, she needed to wake Addison. She had to pull her away from her nightmares.

Gently she placed her arms around her to wake her but that did nothing more than get her to trash around more. This time aside from her name she began shouting for him to let go. Tears threatened to engulf her but she pushed them away. She needed to wake her up.

"Addison." She called calmly but the redhead did not budge. "Addison." She tried again but nothing. She tried shaking her slightly again but nothing.