Chapter 15: Explanations and Invitations

"Meredith." Addison called as the blonde's leg connected with Derek's groin. Derek doubled over in pain.

"Pathetic." Meredith's voice was cold as she stood above Derek.

"What in the world is going on here?" Richard bellowed behind them all but everyone ignored him as their eyes were glued to Meredith and Derek, who had left small amounts of blood sprayed onto the floor.

"You don't need those, do you?" Meredith stood over him shaking in anger. "If you ever lay a hand on her again I'll make sure that's the last thing your hands get to do. Are we clear Dr. Shepherd? Or should I spell it out for you?" Derek stayed silent through the whole thing, blood smeared on his lip, a hand on his jaw and the other covering himself as he straightened up. "You are a pathetic excuse for a man. I don't even have it in myself to feel sorry for you, to pity you."

"Meredith, I love you." Derek said softly.

"No, you don't. You only love yourself. You think of yourself as a god. Someone who we should praise and admire. Someone who we should all run to. But no. I'm not running to you. I will not lower myself with the likes of an arrogant bastard that thinks that by raising his hand and making threats he'll get whatever he wants. You are weak and pathetic and a damned coward." Meredith said bitterly. "And get this through your head Dr. Shepherd," She tapped the side of his head with her finger, "I don't need you. You are nothing to me, I don't love you. Let me repeat that. I do not love you and you are nothing to me" And with that she was done making her way back to Addison.

The panicked look in Addison's face broke her as she walked to her. The redhead's eyes darted from her to Derek and back as if scared that he may snap and do something but that did not happen. Meredith reached her and then looked back at the sorry excuse of a man she had once thought was the love of life.

"You know what, Derek?" She said as she stood next to Addison linking her pinky with the redhead's. "I do feel sorry for you." Derek's eyes widened as she spoke and she felt Addison squeeze her finger. "It's sad that you lost the most amazing, caring, brave, and kind person I've ever met. But then I honestly don't think you ever deserved her." She could see tears well up in his eyes and remained cold because nowhere within her did she find a reason to care for him. The person she cared for was already next to her holding tightly onto her finger.

———————————————————————

Addison watched Meredith in awe as she spoke to him without an ounce of fear. The coldness in her eyes towards him made even her shiver and she prayed the blonde would never look at her that way. She was glad everything was done. Even if Mark had been idiotic enough to break his hand but then it had been to protect her. She looked at Derek once more, his gaze down and shoulders slumped in defeat. She looked and looked trying to find the semblance of the man she had fallen in love with but did not find it.

Feeling Meredith's warmth get closer made her tear her eyes away from Derek to get back to the blonde. Her face had softened into a small smile, gone was the cold gaze and steely eyes she had given Derek. It had all been replaced by warmth and care making Addison feel instantly calm, grounding her. The redhead found herself smiling back and Meredith's face brightened some more.

Soon she felt someone else's presence on her other side. She looked over to see Richard inspecting the bruise poking out underneath her scrub's sleeve. Gently he lifted the sleeve, seeing the whole extent of the marks marring her skin and looked up at her. She quickly averted his gaze instead focusing on a dot on the ground. Ever so gently he lifted her chin and smiled.