Chapter 16: Sundaes In The Dark

They drove in a somewhat comfortable silence as Addison took small sips of her juju. The redhead would throw glances every once in a while but when Meredith looked at her, her gaze would quickly drift forward. It was almost comical to watch the Ruler of All that is Evil shift nervously avoiding her gaze. If Meredith was honest she too was nervous about the whole thing.

Addison was smart, she was overly kind, overwhelmingly brave, thoroughly caring, and to top it all off she was incredibly beautiful. A woman so perfect that she still felt was so completely out of her league. She was about to take this woman, who she had been hopelessly falling for, home. It was definitely not the first time they would spend a night together. But this Addison was sober unlike last time. A time Meredith had noticed, from the get go, the redhead had completely no memory of.

"Are you ok?" Addison asked, startling Meredith a bit. "Sorry."

"No, it's ok. I'm sorry." She said a bit awkwardly.

"Why are you apologizing?" Addison chuckled a bit.

"I don't know." Meredith shrugged a bit.

"What was on your mind?" Addison asked.

"Nothing too important." Meredith replied rather quickly. "So umm you sure you want to come over? Don't want you to feel like you have to 'cause Mark was pushing for it." She felt her nerves bubble up as she prayed Addison still would want to.

"Y-yes." Addison stammered. "I'm ok if you are." She added to which Meredith hummed in reply. They were quiet for a while when Meredith spoke once more.

"We should pick up some take out." Meredith started. "I can't cook for the life of me." She chuckled a bit.

"I cook." Addison mumbled.

"Of course you do." Meredith shook her head. This woman was amazing.

"I do." Addison said a bit louder.

"Oh, I believe you. Is there anything you can't do?" Meredith asked, raising a brow.

"I guess. I can't make cakes. They're either completely undercooked or they're burnt. Or I forget the sugar. Amelia used to make fun of me all the time for it." Addison chuckled.

"Amelia?" Meredith asked, looking at her as they hit a red light.

"Derek's youngest sister." Addison said and Meredith visibly flinched at the mention of him so she quickly continued. "I kinda adopted her as my own. She is the one Shepherd I don't think I'll ever stop loving. Completely and totally different from the rest. I hope you can meet her one day. She's quite talkative but she's... I hope you can meet her one day." She repeated growing sad.

"She must be amazing. I can't wait." Meredith smiled at her and her face grew into a soft smile. "Anyway, I don't want you to have to worry about anything." She said bringing the conversation back to the dinner topic as she began to drive once more.