Three Alina Starkov

Three

One Year Later

Alina Starkov

The picture that had woken Alina up because of her cell phone buzzing this time was of a nude Nikolai being sketched in a room full of ancient marble statues. He wore what could only be described as what she supposed was him trying to be a sexy Roman General in a toga with gold leaves in his hair that didn't leave much to the imagination.

Alina groaned when she saw it. She was supposed to be starting her first year of college, and already she was dealing with warding off perverts. She got up from her bed and, still in her pajamas, padded across the hall to where Genya's room was. Her old school friend had convinced her to live in her off campus apartment with her and David Kostyk, the charming senior engineering student Genya was finally now dating.

At first, Alina had hated the idea of living with a couple. But Genya had insisted she'd offer her a reduced rate on rent if it meant she got to live with her best friend. "I don't want you to get lost," said Genya, "I know what can happen to orphans once they age out of the system. I just...I want you to know that you have someone."

It had been quite sweet, really. While Alina had liked the idea of making her way on her own, she hadn't been able to find any place cheaper. Worse, dorm room living was just as expensive. However, she hadn't counted on the "nice" offer from Genya being part of apparently what she called her friends "five year plan" to marry her off to the future King of Ravka.

Alina, gripping the cell phone tightly with the boudoir shot of Nikolai, pushed open the door to Genya's room. David and Genya were wrapped up tightly together, clearly naked under the sheets from their loud sex the previous night. Thank the Saints for noise cancelling headphones. "Genya Safin, I'M GOING TO KILL YOU!" she shouted loudly.

David woke up abruptly, grunting, "What the hell?" accidentally knocking Genya awake with his arm.

Genya sat up with a smirk on her face. "You got it, then?"

"Yes, I got it," she said.

She shoved the cell phone at her friend, who caught it expertly and laughed when she saw the picture.

"Well, you can't deny he's got style," said Genya, "and bonus! Now you've got something to blackmail him with if you two ever get into a fight when you're married."

Alina rolled her eyes. "I can't believe you gave him my cell phone number. He's never going to stop now."

Genya smirked. "I actually didn't. I think he stole your phone when we went to the movies last week and got it himself."

"I'm going to kill him."

David groaned. "I'm going to kill the both of you because your matchmaking shit isn't letting me get a full eight hours. Genya, my love, my heart, she doesn't like him. Let him alone."

"Excuse you, David! When you agreed to date me, you also agreed to be a full participant in any and all matchmaking schemes involving them. Besides, you said last week you thought Alina would make a great Queen!"

"Were you naked?" he asked.

Genya frowned. "What does that matter?"

"Because, dearest, you could probably get me to commit murder if you were."

"And if I weren't?"

"Possibly, because you are beautiful, but it would depend on how much you'd annoyed me that day."

"Oh, well isn't that loving," Genya said.

"Very," he replied, kissing her. "Quite antagonizing her. If it's meant to happen, it will happen!"