Thirteen: Alina Starkov

TW:  PLEASE BE ADVISED THIS CHAPTER INVOLVES DISCUSSIONS OF WARTIME VIOLENCE. 

Thirteen:

Alina Starkov

There were not near as many paparazzi around when she got home. But she could still see them around her street, hiding strategically. She saw flashes of cameras but tried to ignore them. She had been emotionally burned out after everything. When she opened the door, she went to the kitchen intending to get something to eat and then study. She was stopped, however, by a bunch of roses and Genya standing before her excitedly.

"These came for you today!" she said excitedly. "There was a note. Well, actually there were two notes. One was in a white envelope, from Nikolai. I know because it had the palace crest on it----and the other was black, with a wax seal I've never seen before. But it came with jewelry so I'm also going to assume it's from Nikolai because it came with a black box that looks like jewelry."

Alina blushed. "He's really serious about this, isn't he?"

"Yep. He also said for me to tell you that the palace sent over the nondisclosure agreement, and he'll be coming to see you tonight. He promises to stay out of the kitchen and he's bringing takeout."

Alina smiled. "Free dinner----I could get used to this."

Genya nudged her. "See, there are some perks to this."

"See, that's the problem, Genya. What if I agree to this now and it's not what I want later? Royal marriages aren't exactly known for divorce."

"Alina, trust me when I say, I don't think you'll never not want Nikolai once you have him. It's nearly impossible for people not to love him. And, if you do feel any regret about anything, Nikolai will make sure that you forget it. I promise."

She heaved a sigh. "Well, the good news is I only have to go through with this if I fall in love with him."

"Right," said Genya, "and it's not like it's going to be hard to do that or anything----especially since he'll be taking you on several luxurious vacations, having you meet the family, and I believe you two are scheduled to do a bunch of charity work with children. Or you will be, once you sign the paperwork."

Alina groaned. "They're going to make him, and I do charity work with children?"

"Well, they want the press to see if you can be a good mother, and they hope that placing you around them will make you want to have them early."

"This isn't going to be easy, is it?"

Genya shook her head. "No. But when the Royal family sees someone they like, they go after it with gusto. Even the Queen has been talking about how much she likes you, and she never likes anyone. Including me."

Alina raised an eyebrow. "The Queen has been talking about me?"

Genya nodded. "The last time we had a family dinner together, she asked about you. She knows Nikolai's serious about courting you and was hoping that you were single. She was extremely pleased to find out there wouldn't be any competition for him."

Alina raised an eyebrow. "I don't know if I should be flattered or concerned about that."

"Consider it high praise," she said, "her approval will mean the Kings approval, which will mean smooth sailing for you too. Because of the war, they're doing everything they can do win the public approval back and they think that will happen with a royal wedding, especially with you being a commoner. Now, are you going to open your letters or jewelry or what? Because I'm dying to see it!"