Forty: Professor Aleksander Morozova

Forty:

Professor Aleksander Morozova

She didn't go to the clubhouse. She didn't go to her home. She didn't even go to the hospital to see her soldier. Worse, she had left her cell phone at her apartment. If she bought anything, she was doing it with cash and not the bank account he had set up in her name to get money from the society to her. She had not let Nikolai inside of her last night as he'd instructed. She had not met him back at their room either.

He spent the day searching for her. Going to every place he could possibly think of, when he finally saw her, of all places outside of his mothers office. "I'm sorry Professor Morozova," she said, "I didn't mean to skip class, I was really sick."

"That's quite alright dear," said his Mother, "you're a pretty decent student. And I know with everything going on with the Prince, it must be difficult to get things done sometimes."

Alina smiled at her. "A lot of drama."

Baghra nodded. "I can imagine. You get the assignments to me when you're able, and we'll reschedule that test for you."

"Alina!" he called out.

Alina froze. Baghra looked up at him, concern in her eyes. He didn't have time for his mothers concern. "The necklace, Alina," he said, "you're supposed to be wearing it in my presence. I see it's not on you."

"Professor," said Alina coldly, "surely we can talk about this at a different time."

"No," he said, "I know you're not so much of a fool that you didn't put together that you were talking to my mother. She knows what I am. She can hear all of this. Alina, put the necklace on, now."

Alina hesitated, then pulled the necklace out of her messenger bag. She put it around her neck. "I had it off because I was with Nikolai. It didn't seem appropriate. You said I was only supposed to wear it when I was with you, or when you told me to."

"Well, I'm telling you now," he said, "you're done."

"Done what?" she said.

"Talking to my mother. Come with me."

"Aleksander," said Baghra, "be careful."

"I know what I'm doing, Mother," he said tiredly. He grabbed Alina by her wrist and pulled her across campus, not caring that there were people looking as they passed by through the crowds of students and teachers. Finally, they reached his office. He opened the door, shoved her in and slammed it shut so hard the plaques he had on his walls rattled.

"What were you thinking?" he demanded. "I thought you were dead!"

"And how terrible that would be, right?" she retorted. "Because then you wouldn't have the next step in your little world domination plan."

"Because I love you!" he blurted out. "Because I didn't know if you were alive, or dead or.... you can't leave me like that again, Alina. I need to know where you are. I went fucking mad...."

She was staring at him wide eyed. "You....what did you say?"

"I went fucking mad," he said.

She shook her head. "No. No. The first bit that you said to me."

He blinked, and smiled at her. "Because I love you," he said.