Twenty-five: Alina Starkov

Twenty-five:

Alina Starkov

She told Aleksander that she had to have some time to herself coming up. Which really meant time with Genya and Nikolai. They agreed to see each other once a week, and she could pick and choose if something came up. With the stipulation that Aleksander could do the same thing. She was, after all, still a student. When he saw how tired she was the other day, it was him that came up with it.

"I don't want to exhaust you," he told her, "at least not for that reason."

She'd smiled, and agreed to it, and he had let her go home for the evening. Her bottom still ached from the spanking, and all she wanted to do was to rest. When she got home though, she heard laughter coming from the kitchen and music. Inside, David was cooking, while Genya and Nikolai were sitting at the counter laughing about something.

"Don't you remember?" she said. "You were about eight, and you---"

Nikolai groaned. "Why is this remembered?"

"Because," she said, "it was hilarious. You sang My Fair Lady at the Solstice Party. With quite a lovely soprano voice, might I add."

He shrugged. "It's a classic. Also, I hadn't hit puberty yet."

She smiled. "It was adorable!"

"Hello," Alina said, "what's going on here?"

Everyone looked up at her. "Alina!" Genya ran to her smiling. "Nikki has just surprised us---well me rather---but everyone is invited----with the most fantastic birthday present ever."

"What is that?" she asked.

"Solstice Break in The Islands!" Genya exclaimed, bouncing up and down. "At the royal chateau. It's very private, very secluded, and very romantic."

Alina raised an eyebrow. "Isn't your birthday next week?"

She nodded. "It is. This is his very big, very extravagant gift to me because he's the best cousin ever." Genya glanced over at him. "Although I also suspect it might be an excuse for him to spend two weeks alone with you, but I will let that slide because the chateau is fabulous."

Nikolai looked sheepishly at her. "Genya also doesn't know the meaning of the word surprise," he said, "I was going to tell you, but she's so excited. Anyway, would you like to go talk up in your room?"

She smiled. "Sure. Come on." She walked over and dragged him up the stairs.

"Did you go to the hospital last night?" Nikolai asked. "Genya said you ran off somewhere and never said where."

"Oh? Yes," she lied, "I fell asleep there."

"Poor girl. You know if you wanted, I could go with you one of these days. Keep you company."

She raised an eyebrow. "You would like to sit with me, alone, at the hospital with my unconscious friend?"

He nodded. "Well, that parts a little weird I'll admit but honestly Alina, I don't care where we are as long as we get to spend time together. I know its hard, with my schedule and everything, and we've only really had one, real date...."

They reached her room, and she pulled him inside, closing the door. "Honestly, I've been feeling guilty myself," she admitted, "I feel like I'm not taking this as seriously as you, and you're inviting me to family events and weekend getaways."

He smiled. "It's alright, Alina. You're not any obligation to do anything you don't want to, remember? This is all a trial. After your year is up, you've still got the right to walk away. But this period is about us getting to know each other. I didn't mean to spring the vacation on you, but I thought we could.... have some time alone."

Alina blushed. "Oh.... you mean...."

"Genya had said you were a virgin, and told me to take it slow, so that's what I've been doing but..." he coughed. "This is the longest I've gone without being with anyone, and I sort of maybe..."

"What?" she said.

"Got a hard on in class thinking about you today," he admitted, "it was very uncomfortable."

She blushed and reached out to run her hand through his blond hair. "Oh, you poor thing."

"I don't want to put any pressure on you though," he said.

She smiled. "Nikolai, I don't know if this ruins things for you, but...I'm not a virgin."

He raised an eyebrow. "You're not?"

She shook her head.

"Then who---"

She hesitated. "I didn't say anything, because I didn't want to make it awkward with me going to the hospital, but it was Mal. Graduation, before he went off to basic training. It was just a way for us to say goodbye to each other. It um....it didn't mean....well, we weren't...."

"In love?" he offered.

She nodded. "I love him," she said, "but I'm not in love with him."

He heaved a sigh of relief. "That's good, because it would be a bit sad to be jealous of a guy who's unconscious."

Lies, the voice inside her head chanted, lies, lies. But she couldn't let him think she was a virgin either. Or tell him about Professor Morozova. Who knew what would happen if the castle found out that a Professor was having an affair with a student? Especially since she was the Princes consort. But if Mal ever woke up, she'd explain everything to him. He'd understand. Wouldn't he?

"Nothing to be jealous of," she assured him, "we're just old friends."

"Good," he said, "then, the vacation was a good idea?"

She nodded. "A week in a luxurious chateau. Who wouldn't love that?"

He smiled and kissed her. "You're wonderful, you know that. Now, would you like to go and get some dinner? Because I've decided college kids shouldn't cook ever and I'm not too terribly sure what David's making just now."

Alina grinned. "That sounds great."

"Then, come on, let's go." He took her hand, and the two of them snuck out of the apartment before Genya and David could catch them.

 She lived two lives, she realized. Her college life, and her life at the club. Both felt real too her. But she had no idea which one she craved more. And that bothered her.