Thirty-six: Aleksander Morozova

Thirty-six:

Professor

Aleksander Morozova

To survive the world of royals, you either had to be loved by all or forgotten about. Aleksander had first found out who his father was when he had tested exceptionally well in school. Baghra hadn't had the money for a private boarding school, but she knew exceptions could be made for bastards if the King acknowledged them. She had, very proudly, secured them a place to live through university housing and taken care of all of their living expenses. The King had, apparently, offered to provide compensation when he was first born. But for whatever reason, Baghra had denied everything from him.

Until the issue of schools came up. Baghra knew there was only so far she could get him. She arranged a meeting at her University lecture hall. Aleksander had been ten, sitting in a chair, sitting there reading Siege and Storm: 1,000 years of Ravka history and battles. It was a very big book, black, and leatherbound.

"Now," Baghra had coached him on the morning he was supposed to meet him, "what do you call the King?"

"Father."

"Your majesty," she corrected, "no one can know he's your father."

"Does he? Know, I mean?" Aleksander asked.

"Yes, but someone else might overhear, and no one can know. Unless they find out by accident. It's one of his rules. If you tell anyone, or I tell anyone you're his bastard, any support will be taken away."

"But we don't take support from him now," Aleksander said.

"Exactly," said Baghra, "and we're trying to get you into The Kings School for Young Boys. If you call him father, it won't happen."

King Alexander the Second had blond hair, watery blue eyes, and a weak chin. He had strode in with two guards trailing behind him. "Professor Morozova," he said with a smirk at Baghra, "such a long time it's been since I was a University student here."

"Ten years, exactly," she said, with a gesture to Aleks.

The King peered down at him. "This is the boy? He's got your coloring, clearly...but...I do see something of a Lantsov chin...."

Aleksander put the book off to the side, stood up, and bowed. "Hello, your majesty."

The King smiled at him. "What's that you're reading, boy?"

"Siege and Storm: 1,000 years of Ravka history and battles."

"At ten?" he said. "Shouldn't you be reading folklore and nonsense about fairies?"

"I don't like fairies," he said, "they aren't real."

"No," said the King, "they aren't...."

He glanced at Baghra. "Show me the test scores."

Baghra went to her desk, and she pulled out all of Aleksander's school work. "He's got high mathematics, history, science, Ravkaan.... and well...poor art skills but what does he need with those?"

The King laughed. "Good point." He glanced at Aleksander. "Of course, you know if I'm going to be providing for him financially, I expect him to be part of the family. He'll be required to attend events as I see fit, to lend support for his father when necessary."

Baghra nodded. "I've explained it all to him."

"My only rule is that he doesn't go around telling people he's the King's bastard. Different, if I tell them you see but if tongues wag..."

"I understand," said Baghra, and she'd looked at him, "you understand, don't you, my boy?"

Aleksander nodded. "I understand, mother." He glanced up at the King. "I understand, father."

There was a long since. Baghra winced, and Aleksander waited for the punishment to come but it never did. Instead, the King chortled, walked over, and ran his hands through Aleksander's dark hair. "There's my son. You know, my son Vasily, your brother, is quite the sick little one. He could use some help in his studies to make certain that he gets to go to the same school as you. Would you do that for me, young Aleksander?"

He nodded.

So, Aleksander found himself pushed into royal life. He was introduced as a "cousin" to first Vasily, and then Nikolai when he came along. He tutored both the boys, and even the Queen couldn't hide how much she liked Aleksander for the favor he showed her sons. To the point that he was often invited to special events with the family, like the opera.

Genya had much fanfare when she arrived. She had made a name for herself as a model in her teens and was known for her charity work. Aleksander had to stay a bit more elusive, and teaching had been the perfect fit for him anyway. They went up to the Queen's opera box. Nikolai was already sitting off to the side, Alina wasn't there for some reason, probably off to the bathroom.

Queen Tatiana smiled when Genya and Aleksander entered the room. "Genya! Aleks." She kissed him on either one of his cheeks, and he beamed at her. "So happy you could come. Genya, Alina just went to the bathroom. Aleks, you do have to meet this new girl of Nikolai's. So charming! An orphan."

"I actually have her as a student," he said, "Nikki told me all about her. Invited me on that family trip of yours to make him seem more interesting, bless my dear brothers heart."

He glanced over at Nikolai, who rolled his eyes and smirked at him. Aleksander smirked back over the Queens shoulder.

The Queen smiled. "Well, then this will be a treat, I'm sure! Sit next to me, won't you dear? You simply must tell me how your semesters been."

"If it so pleases you, your majesty," he said.

"It does, my dear," she said, "and Genya, you must sit next to Nikolai. We can't have the audience thinking anything improper is happening with him and Alina."

"But mother," Nikolai objected, "Alina and I thought that we might go to fathers box----"

"Not before the engagement is official, dear," the Queen chided, "after, you can fool around all you want."

Nikolai scowled.

Genya smirked. "Oh, don't be a spoil sport Nikolai," she said, "besides, I never see you anymore. It will be good for us to spend time with one another."

"And where, exactly, will Alina be sitting mother?" Nikolai asked.

"Next to Aleksander, of course," said the Queen, "much less improper."

Aleksander smirked. "Don't worry, Nikki, I promise not to scare her off."

"You had better not, Morozova. I might kill you if you do."

He chuckled. "Careful, Lantsov. You're almost sounding like a King."

Just then, the curtain to the opera box pushed through, and Alina came in. "Sorry, sorry." She was wearing a pink evening, strapless dress that was a dusty rose color and had a long ruffle skirt. She smiled at Nikolai, was surprised when she saw Genya, and then when she saw Aleksander sitting next to the Queen, she froze. Like a deer in headlights. The curtains rose, the lights dimmed, the orchestra begin, so, rather fittingly, did the show. Aleks just smiled at her, then turned his attention on it.