Chapter 1

"Your highness, you're late!"

Harry looked up from his wardrobe. His butler, Charles, was stood in the doorway, looking agitated.

Charles had always been his personal butler, having looked after him since he was 7 years old. He had always been kind to Harry, even when his father was not.

With white whiskers and a thin layer of white hair upon his head, he reminded Harry much of a rabbit. Standing in the doorway now, he tapped his foot up and down, checking his pocket watch every few seconds.

"I know Charles, I'm sorry. I don't quite know what to wear." Harry frowned, chewing his lip.

"I hate to speak out of turn your highness, but I'm not sure there's time for this. We really must go."

"I'm not sure my father would be pleased if I was seen in my pyjamas. I'm sorry Charles, give me two minutes. What's the temperature like outside?"

"Warm, sunny. Not a cloud in sight." He rushed out, itching at his moustache.

"Thank you. Will this be okay?" Harry held out a white shirt with a bow at its collar and frills on its sleeves, a pair of black trousers and a black waistcoat. "It's ever so boring but I have no time to choose anything better now."

"That will be fine." He nodded curtly, "and please, be quick."

Harry was indeed quick to change into his outfit, simply running a hand through his hair before stepping outside the room. He supposed his hair would need a cut soon, it had grown just long enough to tickle his ears. But he liked it like this, long and pretty.

"Charles, you may wait inside. I don't suppose my father will be too pleased with you, though it is my fault. Don't worry, I'll make sure you don't get the blame."

"Thank you sir." Charles bowed slightly and Harry shook his head.

"You really must stop that. First of all, you have known me almost all of my life. You can call me by my name. Second of all, all the bowing is going to give you knee problems. Or back problems. I'm not quite sure which, maybe both."

"Harry," Charles cut him off, "go before you miss it entirely."

"Yes, of course. Right, thank you Charles." Harry nodded, waving goodbye as he ran down the hallways.

As the front door was opened, sunlight poured into his eyes. He squinted, holding an arm up against his forehead and stepping outside. The sun was warm on his skin, grass smelling fresh and birds chirping from the trees.

"Harry!" A gruff voice called.

Harry's head snapped around to where his father was stood, surrounded by a couple of men. They would often host these things- tea parties as they liked to call them.

Harry didn't believe they were tea parties though. Tea parties should be full of joy and tea and cake. Not scheming and slyness and distaste.

They weren't even small enough to be tea parties (not that Harry was sure there was a number limit). But they consisted of walking around and playing croquet and pretending to be interested in the boring life of yet another rich man. There was no tea involved.

The important men and women of the village would be invited, though only select few interacted with the king.

"Hello father." Harry greeted, before nodding to each man with a polite smile. "I'm so sorry I'm late, I lost track of the time."

His father gave him a tight smile, the skin stretching as though it had never before. A firm hand grasped his shoulder, keeping him in place.

"Don't let it happen again." He muttered before turning to the others, "you must excuse Harry, we all know he's not the brightest."

Harry's cheeks burned furiously at that. He ducked his head as a chorus of laughter took place.

"Father?" A sweet voice came from behind and he turned around, keeping his grip on Harry.

"Gemma. Did you need something?"

"I'm sorry to interrupt, it's just Maura is asking for Harry."

He sighed, looking down at Harry, "you may go. Behave."

"Yes father. Thank you." Harry gave a short nod before writhing out of his hold and walking quickly to catch up with Gemma.

"You really ought to get a watch." She raised an eyebrow at him with a small, amused smile.

"I know." He huffed, "I just couldn't decide on what to wear."

"Well you're lucky father didn't catch a glimpse of that pearl necklace of yours." She spoke without looking at Harry. Harry paused, looking down at his chest. Sure enough, the necklace was on show. He quickly dropped it under his shirt before catching up with her again.

"Where are we going? Maura is over there."

"For goodness sake Harry, you really must learn to tell when I'm lying to father. I wasn't just going to leave you there, or you'd be stood there all day." She shot a small smile at him.

"Well I can't stand up to him, can I? Anyway, thank you. I really appreciate it."

"Of course." Her face remained the same, holding a warm smile.

"Is Jack out here?" Harry asked with a hopeful expression.

"Don't be ridiculous. You know father doesn't like him being out in public."

"I don't understand why not." Harry sighed.

"Because he's not normal Harry. He's not like you or I." Gemma spoke gently.

"He's just like us. He's sweet and caring and he wouldn't dare hurt even a fly."

"I know. Of course I know that, he's our brother. But he's the 'Mad Hatter'. He has a reputation."

"It's not fair. It's not fair that he has to stay locked away whilst we get all the freedom. He's done nothing wrong. Why do they hate him?"

"There's nothing more to it. It's just because he's different. You know there's no use arguing about it with me. I agree with you, but neither of us have any power over father's commands. We may as well enjoy ourselves."

"I suppose you're right."