Chapter 9

"Where are we going?" Harry asked.

"To do some gardening." Louis answered.

"You're a confusing stable boy."

"How so?"

"Because you're not just the stable boy. You're doing everything."

"I like gardening." Louis told him, "it's relaxing. Plus, by doing more than one job I get more money."

"If the pay isn't good enough you may speak to me about it. I can do my best to raise it."

"Thank you." Louis turned back to smile at him. "I appreciate that."

"Smoking isn't healthy, you know?" Harry tilted his head as Louis took another drag.

"No shit." Louis replied.

"You ought to stop. It'll hurt you."

"Nah. Not like I have much to lose. Plus, I look hot smoking." He tapped the end of the cigarette.

It wasn't like Harry could disagree with that.

Louis crouched down by a flowerbed, Harry following his lead. Louis placed the cigarette back between his lips, beginning to dig a little with his hand.

"What are you doing?" Harry asked urgently, Louis retracting his hand.

"Nothing's grown in this bed for ages. I'm gonna dig it up."

"You can't do that." Harry shook his head.

"Why not?" Louis frowned, taking in Harry's sad expression before following the movement of Harry's hand.

It traced over letters scrawled onto the wood.

Harry + Mummy's was written- obviously by a child- in yellow and pink pen, a flower drawn beneath in the same colours.

"This was where me and my mum would plant flowers and stuff. I've planted stuff for her after she um," he gulped, "after she passed away. You can't dig it up. Please don't." Louis's heart hurt for Harry as he looked over it. It was obvious they'd had a good relationship just from this and Louis couldn't imagine the pain Harry felt.

"Babes, nothing has grown in here for a long time." Louis spoke softly, "new soil will be needed, and I'm not sure the seeds were any good either. What is it you planted?"

"Foxgloves and roses and forget-me-nots. They were her favourites." Harry's eyes had grown bleary.

"I've got those seeds in the shed. And fresh soil. If you'd like we can replant them?"

"Would you help me?" Harry asked quietly.

"Course I will. Would you like to do it now?"

"Yes please."

"Are you going to tell me what's on your mind at all?" Louis turned his head to face Harry.

"It's nothing. I just feel out of control, that's all." Harry sighed.

"Is there anything in particular that's made you feel that way?"

"I have to get married." Harry murmured. "I'll never get the chance to fall in love. I'll never get the chance to even have a relationship of my own accord. It'll just a bunch of princesses and I have to choose one."

"Fuck, that's so unfair." Louis frowned, "isn't that like an arranged marriage or something?"

"I suppose. But I don't really want to talk about it. There's nothing I can do. Can we just not talk about it? I want a distraction."