Chapter 30

"What's wrong, Your Highness?"

"My father is a vile human being who beats his children and killed my mother." She spoke with gritted teeth and tears spilling down her face, walking so quickly that Charles had to do an awkward little be run in order to keep up.

"He killed your mother?" Charles frowned.

"Yes, he did. I've had my suspicions, but he just admitted it. He deserves to rot in jail."

"Oh, Gemma. I'm so sorry." Charles gasped, "I'm so, so sorry."

"I have to tell Jack and Harry. It's unfair for me to keep it from them."

"He'll get what he deserves Gemma. He will."

"I wouldn't count on it unless I do it myself. I might have to fucking shoot him with a crossbow myself."

"You could say it was an accident whilst hunting?"

"Could do." She shrugged, "but if I kill him then I'm a murderer. Charles, you may come in, or you may do something else, but thank you for accompanying me."

"I think it's best I leave you. Please come and find me if you need anything."

"Thank you Charles, you're the best." She sniffled, leaning forwards to press a kiss to his cheek.

//

Gemma had just told her brothers the actions of her father, and Harry felt sick.

Jack was sat in silence, and Harry couldn't breathe. He wasn't sure if it was the fact that he'd been kicked in the tummy so much that it hurt to move, or the fact that he had just learned that his mother was murdered by his father, but he felt as though he were about to throw up.

"I want to see Louis. Please, just let me see Louis." He whimpered.

"Harry, you can't. I'm sorry, but you can't."

"I know where I can meet him. Where nobody will know. Please, I need to see him." Harry near enough begged.

"You can't walk."

"I can, Gemma, I can. Please, I don't want to be here anymore."

"I'll get your clothes, then I'll call a horse and carriage. I'll come with you, we'll say we were going to visit one of my friends. Jack, of course you may come to. We'll drop Harry off, I'll go to my friend's, then we'll return together."

Harry sniffed, nodding his head as he scratched at his arms. Jack took Harry's hand, stopping him from doing so, and Harry looked up with trembling lips and watering eyes.

"It's okay, you'll see Louis soon and it'll be okay." Jack said, before dropping Harry's hands, and wringing out his own.

//

"Louis?" Harry looked around desperately.

"Harry, my darling, I'm here." Louis spoke, and Harry immediately spun around.

He opened his arms, and Louis pulled Harry into a tight hug. Harry let out a small whine as Louis applied too much pressure to his bruises and cuts.

"I'm sorry, did I hurt you?"

Harry shook his head, but Gemma chimed in softly.

"He's a bit battered up."

Harry turned to look at her, frowning sadly.

"I'm sorry Harry, I had to say something. Plus, you can see the bruises on your face. I love you Harry, stay safe and you can meet me at Charlotte's house, or I can meet you here."

"May I meet you at Charlotte's?"

"Yes, of course. If you're not there come  dusk, I'll come here."

//

"How bad did he hurt you?"

"He beat me unconscious." Harry gulped. "And he killed my mother." He added quietly.

"What?"

"She didn't die because she was ill. She died because he murdered her."

"Fuck Harry, fuck. I'm so sorry. That fucking bastard deserves to rot in hell."

Harry let out a small whimper as a pain coursed through his shoulder.

"May I take a look at your injuries?" Louis asked more softly, realising that Harry didn't need anger right now.

"Can we go to your house? Please. I know I said to Gemma I wouldn't because it could be dangerous, but I'm cold and everything hurts, and I just need-" Harry's voice cracked and he buried his head in his hands.

"We'll go home. It's okay. We can go home." Louis handed Harry a hat, "keep it down over your face, tuck your hair into it, and everything will be alright. Nobody will know it's you."

Thankfully it wasn't a long walk to Louis's house, but as soon as they entered, Harry near enough collapsed. Louis grabbed him under the arms as Harry's legs went weak, hauling him up and into the living room.

"You're alright my darling. You're alright. Is it okay if I look at your injuries now? I need to make sure there's nothing that's going to worsen."

Harry nodded.

"I'm going to have to take your top off. Is that alright?"

"Yeah." Harry allowed Louis to unbutton his shirt, though he covered up his tummy with his arms as Louis gently removed it.

"Fuck." Louis muttered with a frown as he scanned over Harry's body. Bruises littered his skin, hues of violet and marigold spread across his creamy complexion like a wildfire, and here and there lay gashes and scratches- kindling to the fire.

"That's enough." Harry's voice barely carried to Louis, insecure and shaky. "Sorry."

"What for, love?"

"I don't like people looking at my body. And... when it's like this it's even worse. I don't want you to think I'm disgusting."

"Harry." Louis frowned, placing a blanket around Harry's body so he felt more comfortable, "look at me for a sec."

Harry shifted to look at him, eyes flitting between Louis's own, and his hands.

"You're beautiful, okay? You're beautiful, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. After all, my opinion is the only one that matters, everyone else is shit."

Harry cracked a small smile, "thank you."

"Can I tend to your wounds?"

"Okay."

Louis helped him up, leading him to the bathroom. Harry sat on the toilet seat, and Louis crouched down, opening the cupboard beneath the sink.

Louis dabbed some sort of liquid onto Harry's cuts, and Harry winced and whimpered. Louis took Harry's hand with his spare one, rubbing his thumb over it in soothing motions.

"You're being so good for me." Louis murmured, and Harry's lips stretched out into a smile.

"I wish I could stay here tonight."

"I know. I wish so too, but it's too dangerous. We're all done."