Chapter 8

"You're 18 now." The King started, pacing up and down.

Harry stood before him, hands clasped in front of him as he kept his eyes down. His hair was tucked behind his ears, but a couple of curls had fallen in front of his face.

"You need to get married."

Okay, that wasn't what Harry had expected to come out of his father's mouth. Not at all.

"Why?"

"Because you're the heir."

"Why isn't Jack the heir? Or Gemma? They're older."

"Because she's a girl." The King replied. "She will not be Queen when we can have a King."

Harry hated how his father thought. Just because she was girl it didn't mean he could treat her differently.

"And Jack?"

"Don't be ridiculous. You know the answer to that. He's a retard."

Harry's frown deepened. "That's not very nice to say." He said timidly.

His father stopped pacing, turning to look at Harry.

"What was that?" His eyes bore into Harry's skin.

Harry's eyes widened at the stern tone and he dropped his head even more . "I was just saying, it's not kind to call people by names like that."

"I can and will do as I wish. Do you have a problem with that, boy?"

Harry hated when his father addressed him as 'boy' as opposed to his name. It made him feel as if he were just an object- purely there to be picked on.

"No father." Harry muttered. He knew if he argued he would get far worse than a simple telling off.

"Good. Now, you'll be meeting with potential suitors tomorrow at the ball."

"There's a ball tomorrow?"

"Yes. It shan't have too many people. But I want you to be dressed well. Not in any of that freaks clothing."

"Yes father." Harry gave a small nod. "May I be dismissed?"

A curt nod was sent his way and Harry scurried off. As soon as he was outside the room he fell back against the wall.

His father wanted him to get married. Harry had never been in any kind of relationship, and now he was expected to get married.

It wasn't even as if he were able to fall in love and marry the person he loved. He would get a couple of options, and he would have to choose.

It was like being taken to a toy shop. All the pretty dolls would be lined up and he'd choose the one he liked best. He hated the idea that he had to choose based off of appearance.

Harry trudged down the hallway, his shoes clicking against the marble floor. He hated this hallway. Of course he could appreciate the beauty of the it, with its high ceilings adorned with golden beams and the pillars that spiralled up towards the ceiling. It's floors were like a checkerboard, black and white lay beside eachother.

The floor was fitting really. Each time Harry walked to and from the room in which his father stayed he felt like a piece in some cruel game. As a small child he and his siblings had pretended it was a giant chess board, acting out the moves.

Harry didn't have to act anymore. He almost glided across the floor. No bounce in his step, and no signs of life. As soon as a foot stepped upon the board, you were transformed into simply a piece in the King's game.

As soon as Harry arrived back in his room he took off his suit and collapsed onto the bed.

He curled up in the centre, pulling the covers over himself as he buried his head in his arms. He didn't want this to happen.

He'd always wanted to marry for love. He'd always dreamed of falling in love and having the perfect marriage with the perfect partner. And now that had been whisked away in a heartbeat.

His life was being taken from him bit by bit and he was feeling more and more out of control.

"Is everything alright, your highness?" He heard Charles call from outside his door.

"Yes, everything is fine Charles. Don't worry about it." Harry forced a reply. But no, everything was not alright. Harry was on the verge of tears. "You don't have to stay there, you may go and do something else if you wish."

"Are you sure everything is okay your highness?"

"Yes Charles. Everything is fine. And please stop calling me by that." Harry spoke kindly but his voice came out strained.

Harry sighed in relief as he heard the retreating footsteps. He finally let himself cry. He could feel his tears soaking the sheets beneath him, but he couldn't bring himself to care.

He wanted to talk to Jack or Gemma, or even Niall or Zayn, about it but he felt pathetic and stupid.

Really there was no reason for him to feel that way. It wasn't as if he had done this to himself, but he was embarrassed that he was upset by this. It wasn't a big deal compared to other things that other people have to go through.

Perhaps when he had stopped crying quite so much he would go for a walk in the garden and get some fresh air.

But it didn't seem as though he would be stopping anytime soon. His sobs were getting louder and breathing was getting more difficult. Tears were streaming down his face, his nose running. Harry pressed his face into a pillow, biting down on his arm to quieten himself.

//

Harry was sat on the wall by the stables. He had his knees drawn to his chest and his eyes fixed on Louis.

Louis was leaning against the wall, the top few buttons of his shirt unbuttoned, hair pushed back off his face- a singular loose strand hanging in front of his face- and a cigarette dangling between his lips.

Harry saw the small flicker of a flame as Louis cupped his hand around the end of the cigarette before he pulled the cigarette away from his mouth, exhaling the smoke.

He looked up, catching sight of Harry. Standing up slightly he beckoned Harry over.

Harry's cheeks heated up as he'd been caught staring, but he climbed off the wall, making his way down to Louis.

Louis frowned at him as he took another drag of the cigarette, blowing it to the side, away from Harry's face. "You've been crying. What's wrong?"

"It's nothing." Harry shook his head, looking down.

"It's something."

"It's okay." Harry shrugged.

Louis reached out, wrapping his warm hand around Harry's wrist and lifting it. "What's this?" He thumbed over the bite mark.

Harry's eyes flickered from the ground to meet Louis's. He didn't answer. He didn't need to. Louis could tell just by the expression on Harry's face.

"Come on, I have to get back to work but you can come with me." He nodded to the side, letting go of Harry's arm.

"Okay." Harry said quietly, following after Louis.

okay, so I know I've said this before but I realllyyyy wanna see trailers for my fics lol. I put the sorta thing I mean on twitter so if anyone can do it do you wanna message me on here or Twitter (preferably twitter). I have playlists for some of my fics if you need songs or anything, but yeah, please look at what I put on twitter.

(Surely I have someone reading this who can do them for any of my fics (psssttt all of them would be lovely))