Chapter 28

Louis slipped out of the ballroom, running down the hall.

He went straight to Harry's room, knocking sharply. He didn't get a spoken answer, yet a few seconds later the door opened.

"What the fuck?" Louis asked immediately, not taking in Harry's state. "What the fuck?" He repeated.

Harry opened his mouth to speak, but instead a heart-wrenching sob erupted. Louis immediately stopped and turned to look at him. He was half naked, his clothes thrown across the room as he shivered. "Fuck, darling."

"L-Lou-" He gasped, tears falling quickly down his face.

"Harry, sit down. It's okay."

Harry tried to speak, but all that came out were cries and whimpers. Louis took his arm gently, leading Harry to his bed and sitting him down. He then leaned across to get Harry's bunny, handing that to him and wrapping a blanket around his shoulders.

Louis headed over to Harry's door, locking it before he sat next to him, pulling the shaking boy into his side.

Harry placed a hand on Louis's chest, slightly crumpling the shirt between his fingers.

Louis slowed down his breathing, hoping Harry would copy it, and sure enough he did- rapid gasps turning to quieter sniffles.

"Tell me what's going on inside that head of yours." Louis spoke softly.

"Someone, a servant I think, they told father that I'm gay. They saw us kissing, but don't know it's you."

"Oh, Harry, god. God, I'm so sorry."

"He's going to kill me," Harry's hands clenched into fists, "he's going to kill me, he's going to kill me, bring me back to life, and then make my life hell. He's going to kill me, he's going to fucking kill me!"

Louis frowned at Harry's use of language, he knew he shouldn't be focusing on the fact that Harry swore, but it just showed how scared Harry really was.

"Harry, Harry. Breathe, c'mon, it's alright. You'll be alright." Louis rubbed a hand up and down his back.

Louis only then noticed the chill in the room, and turned to see the open window.

"Sweetheart, are you trying to catch a cold? The windows are open and you're practically naked."

"Felt like I was suffocating." Harry explained feebly.

"You're going to come back to mine. Are you okay to get dressed now?"

"Can't go back to yours. I've gotta stay here. It'll only be worse if I'm not home."

"I can't leave you here Harry."

"You have to." He murmured, "if I'm not home, he'll hunt me down. He'll find out where I was. I'm not letting you get in trouble as well."

"If I leave you here on your own he'll hurt you."

"I'll be fine." He spoke quietly, "either you protect me for one night and I never see you again, or you let me just face this and we can still see eachother."

"Fuck, Harry." Louis groaned, "I'm so sorry."

"It's not your fault. You didn't force me to kiss you. I chose to." Harry inhaled shakily. "You should go. I don't want anything to happen."

"Can I come and see you later tonight? To make sure you're alright."

"I'll come and see you tomorrow. I'll work something out, at least. But it's not a good idea visiting me tonight."

"I'm so sorry Harry. Stay as safe as you can, my darling." Louis stood up, pulling Harry up and into a tight hug. "If you need me, you know where I'll be."

"Thank you Lou. Please don't worry about me, I'll be okay. Just make sure you get home safe."

"You're ridiculous." Louis muttered, looking slightly amused.

"What?"

"Of course I'm going to worry about you. I'll see you soon."

"See you later." Harry returned, "oh, one last thing." He added as Louis was about to leave.

Louis looked at Harry expectantly.

"Um," Harry's cheeks were a little red, "please may you take care of this." He handed Louis a satchel, and then placed his bunny alongside it.

"What is it?"

"I don't want my father to destroy any of it. It's things of my mother's, and things that mean a lot to me."

"I'll make sure it stays safe." Louis nodded, his heart hurting for Harry- who was so obviously trying to stay strong in front of Louis. "And you'll make sure you stay as safe as possible."

Louis then left, and Harry was alone in his room, with only the anxiety and awful anticipation of what was yet to come to keep him company.

//

Harry's eyes were squeezed shut, his back pressed against the wall as he repeated the same words over and over, over and over- "please mummy, please."

His voice was thick with tears, every inch of his body aching.

"You're no fucking son of mine! You're disgusting, you're a disgusting, sick faggot!"

Harry didn't answer, his hands just found their way to his head, tugging at his hair viciously.

"Fucking look at me you pathetic piece of shit."

Harry's eyes fluttered open ever so slightly, only to immediately fly back shut as a fist collided with his face.

"Father, please," Harry rasped out, "I don't feel good-"

"Do you think I fucking care about that? You think it's acceptable to go around being a fucking slut? All you are is a worthless disappointment, your mother would despise you."

"She wouldn't-" Harry was cut off as a kick landed against his chest, and then against his head.

Harry's vision blurred, the monster before him turning into multiple. He tried to beg one last time, but another blow to his head, and slowly he slipped away into a state of unconsciousness.