Chapter 21

"Harry!"

Harry lifted his head, waving a hand.

"Where've you been? I haven't seen you in days."

"I'm sorry, I wish I could've come and seen you. I don't mean to have avoided you." Harry apologised feebly.

"Christ, what happened to your face?" Louis frowned, stepping closer.

"Oh, it's nothing. I just fell over." Harry avoided eye contact.

"You fell over?" Louis asked, raising his eyebrows.

"Yes."

"You know, I don't believe you for a second. Purely because you're a shit liar. Now what actually happened?"

"I fell over." Harry repeated.

"Look me in the eye and tell me that." Louis challenged.

"Louis, please." Harry murmured weakly, "please just leave it. I fell over, okay? I tripped over and hit my face on my chest of drawers. I'm fine."

"Babes, we're gonna have to get you acting lessons." Louis placed a hand on the small of Harry's back, leading him into the stables. "Tea?"

"Yes please."

"So, where have you been hiding? I thought perhaps you had a very long hangover from that punch."

"I've been waiting until my face looked better."

"Why did he do it?" Louis sighed.

"What?"

"Why did your father hit you?" Louis had a look of concern etched onto his face.

"He didn't."

"Harry, why won't you tell me the truth?"

"He didn't hit me!" Harry shouted, immediately covering his face in embarrassment, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to shout, please don't hate me-" he whimpered.

"Hey, calm down. I don't hate you, and I'm not going to hate you." Louis sat next to Harry, forgetting the tea and wrapping an arm around him. "I'm not going to judge you. Just talk to me."

"It was my fault."

"What?"

"It was my fault. I-I upset him."

"And how did you do that?"

"I..." Harry trailed off as struggled with what to say.

"You...?"

"He just got angry because I was being too close with other boys."

"He's a fucking homophobic prick." Louis growled, "it was not your fault that he hit you."

"I don't understand what's wrong with me." Harry whimpered, drawing up his knees to his chest and burying his head in his arms.

"There's nothing wrong with you. Okay? There is nothing wrong with you." Louis said firmly.

"I-I don't understand-"

"I don't know what you're feeling, but whatever it is, there's nothing wrong with you." Louis reassured him.

"I don't want to go home." He said quietly, and when he lifted his head there were tears streaming down his face.

"When?"

"Now, today. I don't want to. I know I can't really complain but I don't want to be near my father."

"Harry, love, look at me." Louis coaxed. He did so, blinking as another tear spilled down his face.