Overworked

A/N - Thank you to rose3748 for the request! Also a huge thank you to the beta readers for this chapter:  lillies12469dyllager_, and New_Pronouns_who_dis.

TW: Overworking, swearing

Tommy was currently sitting in a Discord call with some of his friends, who were working out lore stream schedules. Phil shared his monthly schedule on-screen, and Tommy's tummy rolled with how tightly-packed and organized it was. He didn't have a schedule of any sort, and shuddered at the thought of having to plan his own free time around work. Fuck that; he decided when he wanted to do what he wanted, whenever he wanted to do it.

But the more he listened to his friends work out logistics, the more he realized that this was how they all worked. Dream, Karl, Ranboo, Phil, even Wilbur all had everything planned out at least a week in advance, if not longer. He could excuse himself by saying he was a kid and had other priorities like school, but Ranboo, Tubbo and Purpled all had Google calendars and planners and shit, even with the added stress of school. Should he try to be organized like them? Would it help him take care of assignments?

After the call ended, he dwelled on this for some time. It might make fans happy to know exactly when he was streaming, and would probably get him more viewers. His assignments might get finished and turned in sooner, and he wouldn't miss any streams if he always knew when they were. Plus, a publicized upload schedule for his channel would look very professional on his banner.

That afternoon, Tommy got to work setting up a schedule. He finished the next two weeks in less than an hour, but all the free space irked him. Phil didn't have this much free time; he probably shouldn't either. Soon, those spaces were filled with things like 'edit' and 'work on assignments'. Unexpectedly, the colored blocks brought him some comfort, although he wasn't sure exactly why. Perhaps it was because he felt like he was doing something productive, or maybe it was just because the colors were pretty.

It was a bit difficult to shift to a rigid time slot-organized day, but he pulled himself into his work with the comfort of knowing that he was working harder like his friends. After all, they deserved someone who put as much effort into their job as they did.

A week in, Tommy was a bit tired and his room was a mess, but he didn't care. The viewer numbers on his streams that week shot happy chemicals through his brain, and all of his assignments were finished and turned in on time. He walked with a bit more pep in his step after school because of the impressed looks he got from his teachers, and his college friends were a bit baffled that he had actually taken time to write his essay throughout the week rather than starting and finishing it at eleven the night before. So what if he didn't have much free time? His job should make him happy enough —and it did, or at least, that's what he told himself.

-

Wilbur was finished with his final round of boring emails and was about to shut down his PC and go to bed when he saw the green Discord icon that meant the user was online, and it was under Tommyinnit's grimacing face icon. He also saw that he was listening to Lovejoy on Spotify, which brought a small smile to his face. He asked the child if he was okay to call, and started one a minute later after Tommy said yes.

"What the fuck are you doing up so late, child? Don't you have school?" Wilbur groaned, playing it up to make his friend laugh. But Tommy didn't laugh, just grunted out, "Yeah. I'm working."

"On what?"

"I'm finishing this editing up in the next... eight minutes, and then a final check-over on my computer science project. Then bed."