twenty-four; the tear stains

After hiding out in the bathroom for half an hour, Nico finally emerged and his dad immediately prompted him to hang up new posters on the front windows

After hiding out in the bathroom for half an hour, Nico finally emerged and his dad immediately prompted him to hang up new posters on the front windows. Nico protested to no avail before eventually stomping off outside with posters in hand. The sky was black and only a couple of lights were on in the top floors of a few buildings. Meanwhile, the small Queens street below was illuminated by the odd street light that hadn't blown out yet.

Nico sighed dramatically while he picked up the first poster. As he taped the poster, he saw his dad flick off the main lights and head into the back room, leaving only the counter lights on, which were not enough to illuminate the street outside the front window.

Nico nervously glanced around him. There was no one around except for a couple about a hundred yards down the street, and the occasional car driving by. However, his eyes lingered to the pitch black alleyways and his mind straight away began to assume the worst was lurking in the dark. Putting up the posters was only going to take about two minutes, but all Nico could think of was what bad things could happen to him in those two minutes. He shook his head, attempting to ignore his thoughts so he could speed through putting up the posters.

As Nico grabbed the last poster, he caught a figure walking towards him from his peripheral vision. He slowly looked up and sighed in relief as he saw Peter walking towards him in pink Hello Kitty pyjama pants and an 'I Survived My Trip to NYC' shirt. Nico was about to laugh, but the smile on his lips fell as he saw the sadness in Peter's eyes.

"What happened?" Nico asked as he got closer. Peter didn't respond, instead he just wrapped his arms around Nico's torso and buried his head in his shoulder. Nico was slightly taken back by the sudden action, but instantly dropped the poster in his hand and held him tightly.

"Mr. Stark took my suit," Peter said, his voice muffled by Nico's shoulder. Nico held Peter silently for a moment as he sobbed softly. He had never seen Peter so defeated before, it had always been him on the other side. "I can't be Spider-Man anymore," Peter mumbled.

"You don't need a suit to be Spider-Man," Nico reassured, "You are Spider-Man."

But Peter wasn't in a state to listen. His mind was replaying everything Tony said to him after the situation with the ferry. Tony wanted him to be better, and he wasn't. And if someone had died? That would've been on him.