twenty-five; the night before

It was like a dumpster on fire that looked like it was finally about to burn out, but no – it said "fuck you" and the fire just kept on burning

It was like a dumpster on fire that looked like it was finally about to burn out, but no – it said "fuck you" and the fire just kept on burning. That was what last night felt like.

My dad caught me kissing Peter, who then broke up with me in like the shittiest fucking way possible, and then I went home and came out to my mom. Yes, I know I said I would never tell anyone, but as soon as I saw her I didn't know what happened. She felt safe and a part of this heavy feeling lifted off of me...only a small part though. I thought everything would be okay then. But my dad came home and boy was I wrong.

But you know what, I'm not as stressed about my dad as I should be, because I know my mom will eventually talk some sense into him. All I've really been thinking about is Peter.

I didn't sleep last night, because all I could see was his stupid face looking at me with tears in his eyes. I prayed last night was a mistake. That he would say sorry the next morning. Say how stupid he was. But the final school bell just rang and he hasn't spoken a word to me all day.

So it wasn't a mistake, was it? I was only temporary. He was probably just "figuring things out" or something, right? Well, I wasn't "figuring things out." I knew what I wanted. I wanted him, and it hurts knowing that I was obsessed with him more than he was with me.

I never want to love again.