six; the beating heart

Nico laid on three seats in the waiting room of the hospital, wrapped up like a burrito in his BB-8 blanket

Nico laid on three seats in the waiting room of the hospital, wrapped up like a burrito in his BB-8 blanket. His mom was signing papers at the front desk and his dad had to leave early after their insurance company called about the shop.

"You okay?" Cassandra asked Nico who nodded in response. "Sorry for rushing out on you bud, a patient called."

"It's okay," he replied, sitting up onto one chair, "Flash is coming." As if on cue Flash entered the hospital.

"Sorry, I'm here!" he apologized, approaching the two, "Freaking Spider-Man is out there causing traffic down four blocks."

Cassandra lightly chuckled, "That's New York." she then turned to her son who looked like he was about to pass out any minute from sleep deprivation, "Are you sure you're okay, Nico? I can take a day off an –"

"No, no, it's fine, mom. Go to work. I'll be fine." Nico said, forcing a small smile.

"Alright, if anything happens, call me." she replied before kissing his forehead.

"Gosh mom, not in public," Nico mumbled, squirming away from her. Cassandra laughed, giving a final goodbye to the boys on her way out.

"You good?" Flash asked as the two walked to his car. "You look really tired."

"Yeah I spent all night playing Mario Kart with the kid in the next room. She thought I was Harry Styles." Nico responded, getting into the passenger seat. Flash gave him a look. "What? She seriously did! She kept asking when the band was getting back together."

"What happened? Are you okay?" Flash asked while turning the keys in the ignition, "Besides you're dad's sandwich shop blowing up. Sorry about that by the way."

Some days Flash was a jerk and other days he was considerate and didn't brush him off. Nico looked over at his friend. There was something about him today that didn't scream 'I don't wanna talk to you today.' So Nico told him everything he could remember except for his moment with Spider-Man.

"I'm glad you're not dead" Flash replied, "Hey, there's a rumour Parker knows Spider-Man. Maybe you can ask him about meeting him." Nico nodded not realizing he zoned our for a second. "If you want to crash in the back seat during break I don't mind eating my lunch here with you."

Nico nodded again, "Thanks."

As Flash parked his car he glanced over at Nico, "There's extra clothes in the trunk. Change, you look terrible, Nikki D." And just like that his jerk persona started to come back and Nico sighed.

Nico wasn't the only one about to pass out that morning

Nico wasn't the only one about to pass out that morning. After Peter saved Nico from his family's burning deli shop, he spent all night trying to complete his half of the biology assignment.

A familiar laugh rings through his ears and Peter immediately looks up, seeing Nico at the doorway laughing with Flash. Peter thought he would've stayed home after what happened last night, and he could tell from the bags under his eyes that he didn't sleep at all.

As Nico walked towards his desk, Peter realized his heartbeat getting faster - and he didn't know why.

"Hey," Nico greeted as he sat beside the nervous boy.

"Hi," Peter replied, "I uh heard what happened last night, are - are you okay?" Peter asked. When he saw the state Nico was in last night he never wanted to see him like that ever again.

"Oh uh yeah, I'm okay I guess," Nico responded. Their eyes met for a brief moment before they both quickly looked away.

"I um finished the assignment," Peter stated, sliding over his work.

Nico smiled, "Wow you might've just saved my grade." Peter lightly chuckled. His grades weren't the only thing he saved.