Seventy-One

Casey

I turned the TV up as I watched the news. I couldn't help but smile as I saw a picture of Rai show on the screen. It was about time that asshole was caught. My head moves to the side as I spot Kathryn entering the apartment with a few bags. I stand, wincing slightly since I had only been discharged from the hospital a day ago. My body was still sore and in immense pain.

Making my way over, the brunette frowns as she notices me on my feet. I chuckle and kiss her cheek, "You're not allowed to be mad. I have to eventually do things for myself when you're away. How was school?" I question.

She sets the bags down and stretches, "Boring. Finals are about to begin and I'm already ready for them to be over with. I just want summer to be here."

I smile and sit down, "Are you teaching summer school? Or am I going to be able to hang out with my girlfriend without the title of 'teacher' weighing us down?"

Kathryn smiles, "I probably, no, I should've told you this before you decided to almost get yourself killed but I turned in my resignation form a few hours before prom."

My brows shoot up as I eye the woman in disbelief. Her smile widens and she nods her head, "You better believe it, baby. I figured Rai can't get me fired if I quit. But I also believe that working there with low security wasn't safe for either of us."

I frown, "Ryn, you love teaching. You shouldn't have quit" I pout, feeling as if I've ruined her career. The woman shakes her head, "I don't regret it. And I never said I wasn't going to stop teaching. I'll probably look for another job during the summer."

I wrap my arms around the woman, knowing she hated having to quit her job. That place was like her second or third home. Especially since she had her best friend across the hall. Pulling away, I eye her a bit longer. "Are you sure you want to quit? Rai is out of the picture."

She smiles, "He's on the run, not out of the picture. And who's to say he won't be back? Staying there isn't safe. And it's also not safe for me to stay here."

"You're moving?"

Her smile catches my attention, "I'm thinking about it. I wanted to talk with you about it. I'm not sure I should stay here because of everything that happened. This apartment was like my safe place and then he invaded it. The only reason I can sleep in my bed is because you're here with me and I know nothing will happen. But what happens when you leave me for college?"

I bite my lip. "Rephrase that. I'm not leaving you," I laugh, "I'm just going to college."

"You're leaving me," she deadpans causing me to smirk. 

Rolling my eyes, I glance into the bags, hoping for food. "I think you should move. Maybe you should go with me to California." The woman eyes me for a few seconds before reaching into one of the bags. She hands me the box of food causing me to smile happily. 

"I don't think so. I love you but we haven't even been together for a year. The Uhaul, idea should wait." Her statement forces me to laugh, "Yeah it should wait. Except weren't you the one who asked me to move in with you until I leave for college? Aren't I living with you right now?"

It's her turn to roll her eyes. "No, not the same idea. If I move with you to California more than likely wherever we live both of our names will be on the lease, whereas here only my name is on the lease and I'm the only one paying the bills. You're just sleeping in my bed until you can get the hell out of my apartment."

I can't help but laugh at the brunette standing in front of me. She had a valid point. In a way we weren't co-existing in this apartment, I wasn't viewed as her roommate because I wasn't helping pay the bills. If we moved in together in California we'd actually be co-existing.