Fifty-two

Casey

I glance over the ball at the pins set up down the alley. I inhale sharply as I walk towards the lane, eventually letting the bowling ball go. The sound of the heavy ball making contact with the tile floor is loud. I turn my back from the action, knowing I'd get a strike without having to look. Edwin shakes his head as he stands for his turn. 

"Try not to embarrass yourself. I know you suck and you'll probably end up having to pay for dinner but just know I have faith in you" I joke as I pat his shoulder. The brunette flicks me off as he grabs his black and read bolling ball. "You're going to regret your words later" he hisses, walking towards the lane.

I chuckle and shake my head as I take a seat at the bench. This was nice. I was finally spending time with Edwin, just the two of us. No girlfriends or other friends in the way. And I really needed this especially after the Desire fiasco from Wednesday. I don't even know how I pushed through the week with her trying to get my attention so much. 

And of course, Kathryn made sure to express her dislike for the girl every chance she got. Anytime she saw her in the hallways following after me, she glared at her. If looks could kill, Desire would be 6 feet under by now. Edwin takes a seat next to me and lets out a breath. "We're so close to graduation, I can't believe I went through 4 years of hell. And now I'm considering another 4 years" he groans.

I chuckle in agreement. "You get any acceptance letters yet?" 

The boy nods his head, "Langston, UA, and Emerson. Not sure where I'm going yet, you?"

I smile, "UCB, UA, Emerson, Reed, USC, UCLA, Columbia Univer--" Edwin places his hand up to stop me. "Okay, I get it. You're smart and a lot of colleges want you. Do you have any idea where you're going or you just as clueless as me?"

"I was actually thinking UCB or UCLA. Anywhere in Cali, honestly." The boy nods his head, probably making UA one of the colleges he'd want to attend. When my stomach growls the boy glances at me before groaning. He reaches into his pocket, pulling out his wallet. "What do you want? Nachos?" he questions standing to his feet.

I smile at the boy and nod my head before he walks away to the concession stand. I use the alone time to pull my phone from my pocket. I notice a message from my mom. I open it cautiously.

Mom: Hey sweetie, I know this is sudden but would you come with your father and I to church? I know I wasn't the best when it came to religion but I still want you to know that God is real and out there. Can you think it over?

Mom: I would love for you to come. And you can bring Kathryn... she's really starting to grow on me.

I bite down on my lip, unsure about the message. I never had a problem with church. It was Christianity I had a problem with. It was the bible I had a problem with. And to be quite frank, I did kind of miss Church to an extent. I hadn't been since I came out, mostly because I was in fear of being rejected.

But I'm 18 now, and I don't care about what they think.

I let out a breath and text my mom before I decide to text Cassandra to tell her about the situation. I quickly find out that mom also texted her, hoping for us all to go as a happy family. 

A few minutes later Edwin appears on side of me with the nachos. He takes the seat on side of me and we begin eating in silence. After a few bites, he glances at me, wiping his lips with the back of his hand. "Okay, I'm going to say something that will more than likely freak you out but hear me out" he chuckles.