Sixteen

Casey

My eyes follow the brunette all over the room. From painting to painting to couple to couple. I stood in the corner by myself, just staring at the beauty.

My eyes leave her for a few seconds, allowing me to indulge in a small conversation with the waiter. "Hey you guys have any scotch?"

The man glances at me for a few seconds too long. "Yes, I'll get that for you right away" he offers me his sarcastic smile. I can't help but to roll my eyes. It wasn't like I was demanding him to serve me.

My eyes roam the room once again to find a certain brown eyed creature.

When I don't find her, I furrow my brows and move from my position. I spot her boyfriend just feet away but no Kathryn Howard. Maybe she went to the restroom.

I scoff at myself and roll my eyes. Why did I even care? I needed to forget she's here and relax. The waiter comes back with my drink.

I grab for it but a hand reaches out past mine, grabbing the glass into their delicate grip. I frown as the waiter walks away as if he didn't care my drink was stolen. I glance over my shoulder, spotting Kathryn. Her brown eyes smile at me as she brings the stainless glass to her red lips.

I watch her take a sip. She scrunches her face as she swallows it.

"Not a fan of scotch?" I tease and take the cup from her fingers. Kathryn holds her digits to her chest before smiling and speaking. "People who drink scotch are either hairy men or psychopaths" she winks.

"No, I'm just plain ol' Casey Kings. The girl who has great taste in liquor" I joke as I take a gulp of the burning liquid.

She keeps her eyes on me. "And women" I whisper the last part. I tease her a little as I rub the tips of my digits on her bare arm. Kathryn bites her lip her eyes switching between my eyes and my fingers.

With a smirk I walk away from the women. I'm not surprised when she follows. "Anyways, Am I interesting tonight?" She questions out of the blue. It peaks my curiosity. I raise my brow at her as we walk past the crowd and towards a random painting.

"You've been staring at me all night. I know you said I was beautiful but I didn't think I was intriguing enough to be stared at for hours."

"I thought you were one of the paintings, your beauty is far too beyond this world." Am I flirting with my neighbor who also works at as a teacher at my school? Kathryn smiles and glances away with a blush. I am. I clear my throat and look away, my eyes landing on my sister and Edwin.

Cassandra gives me a big thumbs up while Edwin smiles and shakes his head. Kathryn and I finally stop at a painting. The silence that fills in between us is comfortable. I lean on my left leg, so much so that I bump Kathryn's shoulder. The brunette bumps my shoulder in defense before giggling.

I nudge the brunette in response with a laugh followed behind. Kathryn tries to nudge me back but I move out of the way just in time. Her big brown eyes land on me in shock before she tries again. I take a step back nearly bumping into a person passing by. "Excuse you, watch where you're going" the man hisses at me.

Before I can retaliate, another voice startles me. "She didn't touch you, you didn't waste your drink or anything. You just want to be an asshole. Now go away before you make me mad" Kathryn attacks. 

The man glances between the two of us with a startled expression. He clears his throat and nods his head before walking away as if nothing happened. I can't help but to smile as I turn to look at the brunette. "Damn that was kind of sexy" I mutter.