Savannah Massacre

It was early the next morning when the train finally stopped in Savannah. Lee quietly walked over to Clementine and gently shook her awake. The little girl yawned and stretched before looking up at her guardian.

"Lee?" she questioned, sleepily rubbing her eyes.

"Yeah, I'm here, sweet pea," Lee responded. "Listen, I'm gonna need to hold on to your walkie-talkie for a little while, okay?"

"But why?"

"I just do, Clem. Can I have it, please?"

Clementine reluctantly obliged, getting the walkie-talkie out and handing it over to Lee. The two of them exited the front cab where the others were waiting. Christa and Carlos were helping Omid down from the boxcar.

They had finally made it to the outskirts of Savannah, and were ready to explore the city. "Is that everyone?" Kenny asked, once everyone was out of the boxcar. Their group was still large, but not as large as it had been at the motor inn. Maybe there wasn't safety in numbers...

"Yeah," Carley answered, "Let's get moving." The group began to walk into the city, eyes alert, and feet quiet. Christa had to nearly carry Omid because of his damaged leg. The city, though, looked empty; desolate even, with not a single person, or walker for that matter, in sight. Lee knew that could soon change though.

As they walked, Clementine couldn't help but to stare at the walkie talkie on Lee's hip. "Can't I just hold it?" she asked, looking up at him slightly.

Lee glanced down at her. "No, Clem, don't ask me again."

"Okay," she frowned.

"How's Omid?" Lee asked, changing the subject.

"His leg is pretty bad," Christa answered.

"I'm fine," Omid insisted, which caused Sarah to glance suspiciously at him.

Christa glared at him. "You're not fine! You need to rest." She then turned to the rest of the group. "He needs to rest!"

"Kenny, how much further?" Lee asked, secretly hoping that they could stop soon as well.

"Should just be a few more blocks up ahead," the mustached man replied solemnly.

"And there'll be boats there?" Christa wanted to know.

"There'll be boats," Kenny assured her. "Have to be. Have to be."

"It will be fine, Kenny," Carlos spoke up.

"He knows what he's doing," Ben said to the rest of the group.

The group stopped walking when they heard a church bell ringing, and they all looked around in confusion.

"What the hell?" Lilly asked.

"Maybe this city's not so dead after all," Christa frowned.

"Keep moving. No one's ringing that bell," Kenny replied. "It's automatic. On a timer."

Just for good measure, Lee looked at his watch. "What kind of church bell goes off at twenty past the hour?"

Suddenly, he saw someone running up on the rooftops. "Someone's up there!"

"Are you sure?" Ben asked. "I don't see anything."

"Show yourself, motherfucker!" Larry yelled up to the rooftop.

"Dad, you'll draw walkers," Lilly quieted her father.

The walkie-talkie then made a buzzing noise, and someone spoke, "If I were you, I'd get out of the street now."