Chapter 3 - "Monkey menace..."

Murthy house: Living room: 8:45 am:

Nandini: "Amms, Amma, Nanu kalejige hoguttiddene. (Grandma, Mom, I am going to college)"

She restlessly glances at her wristwatch. Only 15 minutes are left. This time Manik will kill her if she maintains her track record of being late. She remembers how her intimidating boyfriend Mr Manik Malhotra last time threatened her. "Nandu..you will be really punished hard next time and I won't be pacified by only your kiddish cheek kiss...got it?" Nandini looks upwards and silently prays to her Aiyappa. She was about to step out when Kishor's daunting voice halts her.

Kishori: "Niriksisi (wait) I will go with you. Drop me to the temple. I avowed to worship lord Aiyappa swami every day until he gives us a congenial groom for you."

Nandini: (Frowns) "I thought you all have already decided who will be my congenial groom. (She utters the last two words sarcastically) What happened? Harshad gets out of your list?"

Kishori: (Pats on her granddaughter's head) "Don't talk rubbish. He is very much there but I don't want to leave any loophole you know. Because I don't believe your generation. Who knows what does he think about you? If he also says that you are like his sister (she makes a disapproving face) then someone has to be there to hold your hand."

Nandini: (Ruefully) "Why? Am I blind that somebody has to hold my hand to make me cross the road? Amms, please...which era do you belong to?"

Kishori: (Grimaces) "Kali era! (according to Hindu mythology, there are 4 eras or yuga. Kali yuga is the latest) That's why our next-to-next generation raises their voice to their elders. They have no respect for the elders. Nandu...will you drop me to the temple or I should tell your Appa?"

Nandini gulps in fear. Now, what will she do? Manik must have reached till now and she is again late. But how does she avoid this perennial problem?

Kishori: "Nandu...I think you were late, Kanna! Shall we go? Banni (Come)"

She heads the garden gate and Nandini has to follow her unwillingly.

Nandini: (Mutters) "Please Aiyappa...save me from this dicey situation. Don't let Amms see Manik in the temple. I will be killed then and there. Please Aiyappa."

Kishori: "Make it fast, Kanna. I don't have the entire day to stand over here. By the way, what are you blabbering?"

Nandini: (Gives a pale smile) "Nothing....chanting to Aiyappa...he is sooooo kind..."

Kishori hums in approval and both sit in an auto to head the temple.

.......................................................

Temple: in front of the stairs: 9:30 am:

Manik is pacing to and fro restlessly. A monkey was observing him for a long time. Now he also starts imitating him. The scene is like this; Manik is shuttling from left to right keeping both hands tangled behind and the monkey is doing the same just behind him. As Manik is angry and restless, he doesn't realise it as his one of the primitive ancestors is funnily mimicking him.

Manik: (Vexed) "Late....she is again late. For God's sake why can't this girl be on time? She really will face an angry Manik today. Perhaps then she will realise that keeping me wait is not a good idea."

On the other side inside the auto, Nandini is biting her nails in tension. Suddenly, an idea plays in her mind. She immediately takes out her mobile and secretly messages to Manik. 'My grandmom is with me. I can't come to the temple. Sorry.' Only then, Kishori turns at her.