Chapter 20 - "Dhoom machalee..."

In front of the sub-registrar court: Kashmere Gate: Delhi: ½ an hour before the marriage:

Manik strides to the crowd gathered in front of the main gate. It's hard to locate someone in that chaos. He was about to fish out his mobile and connect Shahid's number when someone pats his shoulder. He turns back and locates Shahid with a smiling face.

Shahid: (Enthusiastically) "Perfect timing, Manik Bhai. We still have ½ an hour in our hands. Where is Dhruv? Nandini se baat hui aapki? (Have you spoken to Nandini?) When will she come?"

Manik shrugs in despair.

Manik: (Sounds tensed) "I spoke to her last yesternight. After that, it is continuously ringing but madam is not picking it up. Hight of carelessness."

He throws his hands in the air to show his pique. Shahid takes out some papers from his bag and starts checking them.

Shahid: (Unmindfully) "She knows everything, right? I mean the place and the time? Today, there is very rush. We got the appointment with lots of difficulties. If we miss it then the next date will be after 2 months."

Manik: (In a convincing voice) "No, she knows everything. I explained her all last night. Probably she kept her mobile in her bag and couldn't hear. I know it's difficult to come out of that jail. By the way, Dhruv is coming. And I hope Nandini will be here shortly."

He looks at the sky and prays silently. Though he is not showing tension is killing him from inside. Only then, Dhruv approaches them almost running. Manik arches his brow at him. Dhruv rests his hands on his waist. He is slowly panting.

Dhruv: "Bol diya Kunal ko. (I told Kunal) Le ayega. (He will get her)"

Manik: (In a doubtful tone) "What did you tell him? Khulke bata. (Say in detail)"

Dhruv: "I told him a person will stand in front of the Murthy house in pant-shirt and helmet. He has to bring that person here. It's a life and death situation."

Manik: (With a deep frown) "Person? Didn't you tell him that person is none other than Nandini?"

Dhruv roams his sceptical eyes on Manik and Shahid.

Dhruv: "Uski kya zarurat? (What is the need for it?) It must be Nandini."

Manik and Shahid both look at each other and Manik slaps his forehead.

Manik: "Bunch of idiots!"

.....................................

On Harshad's bike: On the way to the court: 20 minutes before the marriage:

Unexpectedly, now, two people are riding the bike. The driver is a mid 50's man and the person in the back seat is none other than Nandini. Manik was right. She gracefully collided the bike with a stray cow, almost had a scuffle with the cow owner and got mercy when it was revealed that she is a girl and finally got him only to drive the bike and get her to the court in time. Because the distance is still long and she is literally an amateur biker. The cow owner now the biker still can't believe that Nandini is a girl and she is dressing funnily like a boy. He is continuously trying to look behind.

Nandini: (Sternly) "Age dekho. (Look forward) Mujhe jaldi pohochna hain. (I have to reach out soon) Agar nehi pohochaya na to cow ko road pe ghumaneke liye complaint kar dungi. (If you won't then I will complain against you for making your cow strolling on the road)"

The cow owner: "Aapne aise kapde kyun pahane? (Why have you worn this kind of clothes?) Aapko court bhi kyun jana hain? (Why do you even want to go to court?) Meri gaay to aapko dekhkehi bokhla gai thi. (My cow freaked out to see you)"