Chapter 35 - "We are awesome...together..."

1 month passed and finally, the marriage date was fixed with the precious consent of both the families. However, each side (Precisely Nyonika from the Malhotra side and Kishori from the Murthy side) kept some rules. Here are they: -

For Nandini:

1. She will wear kaleere and chuda (Umbrella-shaped bangles and red and white bangles.)

2. Bridal nath (Nose ring) is a must.

3. Lahenga would be Nyonika's choice.

4. Last but most importantly, the Barati (The people who join the marriage procession) will be dancing while approaching the wedding venue and no one will stop them. In addition, Murthys have to dance in Mehendi and Sangeet. (All the best for Kishori Manikannan.)

After all, everybody should know that it is a big fat Punjabi wedding.

For Manik:

1. The first condition is Manik has to wear a vesti during the Kannadiga wedding rituals. (Well, he can wear a pyjama under it for safety.)

2. Shrikant and Dhruv must also wear traditional Kannadiga dhoti and Nyonika and Kauser will be in Kanjivaram sarees. (Kishori wanted all the Malhotra relatives to wear vesti and saree but Nandini disarmed her from this demand. Thanks to her.)

3. Considering his love for food, Manik must fast before the morning rituals of the wedding (That was the most objectional condition for Manik but again Nandini winked at him and he knows how will it go.)

So, these were some rules and regulations for the bride and groom which they agreed with happy hearts. Besides these, marriage rites, food menu and other nitty-gritty will be taken care of by both families. Well, it is not easy to be on the same page for two different cultures and states. However, love and respect for each other make it possible. Manik and Nandini were initially forbidden from meeting before their wedding, but after numerous sneaky encounters and chaos, Kishori eventually gave permission. It's better to welcome the groom through the main door than to frequently rescue him from the balcony or bathroom like a ghost or thief.

...........................................

In a Boutique of South Delhi near Manik's house: 11 am

It's 2 days before the Sangeet and Mehendi rituals. Nyonika calls Nandini for the final trial of her reception and wedding lagenga. She wants her daughter-in-law to look like the prettiest bride in the world. At first, Nandini was supposed to visit the boutique alone, where Nyonika would help her. However, at the last moment, Kishori forced Rituja to accompany her daughter. Nandini rolls her eyes but eventually agrees to it. Both reach the place.

Nyonika: "Lo meri kudi agai. (Here is my dear)"

She hugs Nandini and kisses her forehead affectionately.

Nyonika: "Try the choli (Blouse) soon. After that, we will have a launch. Achha kiya aap bhi agai. (Good that you also came)"

Nyonika addresses Rituja.

Nyonika: "I have some discussion with you."

Rituja: (With a nervous expression) "Discussion? More?"

Nyonika: (With an assurance hand gesture) "Aaji ghabrao maat. (Don't panic) Not about these two."

She makes a funny face while mentioning Manik and Nandini. She signals the boutique owner to help Nandini and she walks to the trial room. Nyonika pulls the chair close to Rituja. Her voice has excitement while Rituja gulps with nervousness. She can't rely on Nyonika's whims.