Chapter 27 - "Midnight ventures..."

Murthy House: Nandini's bedroom: 12:15 pm:

Nandini's cat nap gets disturbed by a light knocking sound. It takes some time for her to locate the source of the sound. At first, she thought it is coming from the main door. However, gradually she comprehends that it is coming from the balcony side. She gets up with a jerk and sits on the bed squarely. Somehow, she fell asleep and she doesn't know how long she remained dozed off. Nandini looks at the clock and rubs her burning eyes. She slept for around 1 hour. THOK...THOK...THOK...This time the knock picks its pitch. Nandini gets down off the bed immediately and storms to the glass door. She draws the curtain off and the sight widens her eyes. A man is hanging from the balcony railing and simultaneously tapping on the sliding door glass. Nandini thinks of turning on the balcony light but immediately refrains herself when the man finally shows his face through the glass. Her heart skips a beat.

Nandini: (In a pissed-off tone) "Manik...!"

She at once slides open the glass door and grabs Manik by his shirt.

Manik: "Leave my shirt, Nandu. The crease will be spoilt."

Nandini rolls her eyes in disbelief. Here he could have broken some bones but he is more concerned about the crease of his shirt. Seriously? Manik stretches his hand towards her and Nandini grabs it tightly. With some more effort, he finally climbs the railing and comes this side following to sit on the floor with a thud.

Manik: (Panting) "Ufff...Nandu...maybe I am the first husband in history who literally sneaked into his wife's bedroom through her balcony. How adventurous my marriage is!"

Nandini sits in front of him in a squat position and looks at his pissed-off face.

Nandini: (With gritted teeth) "It's indeed adventurous because I somehow married a Monkey or Tarzan who doesn't know how to behave normally. Now, can you care to explain to me, why did you show this circus at this time?"

Manik was about to say that it is their first night and he has every right to show the circus. Either in the balcony railing or inside the bedroom. However, Nandini's angry face refrains him to be so courageous.

Manik: "Because you forgot to return my mobile and it's not that I landed here abruptly. You were properly informed."

First Nandini squints her eyes in exasperation and gradually they turn to buttons. Manik observes the perplexed expression on her face.

Manik: (Confusedly) "What? You didn't get Dhruv's message? He asked you to keep the window open."

In reaction, Nandini leaps up and rushes towards her room. Manik slowly follows her, thinking that he has a point to blame her instead of getting scolded for his midnight circus. Nandini at once takes out her mobile from under the pillow and checks the chat. Her ears turn red. Manik hovers over her shoulder and glances at the screen.

Manik: (Whispers in her ear) "Hmmmm...that means you were peacefully sleeping over here and I took all the efforts to come and surprise you. How unromantic, Nandu! Don't you have any feelings for your newly wedded hubby?"

Nandini turns at him with angry eyes. Manik makes a puppy face and shows his fake shyness by bending his head.

Nandini: (Sarcastically) "Oho...newly wedded hubby! But right now, you are behaving like a newly wedded bride. Kya karu main? (What should I do?) Tumhara gungat uthau? (Should I lift your veil?)"

Manik: (With a broad smile) "No, my cute South Indian wife. You just pronounce Hindi properly. It's ghunghat...not gungat. Tumlog jaha 'H' ki jarurat hoti hain woha lagati nehi ho aur jaha jarurat nehi hai woha ek extra 'H' lagati ho. (You people don't use the letter 'H' where it is needed but use an extra 'H' where it is not needed) How funny! He..he..."