Chapter 25 - "Another mischievous plan..."

Murthy House: Nandini's bathroom: 5 pm:

Rituja stretches out her hand holding a long skirt and kurti to Nandini. Her expression is rigid. With an excoriated face, Nandini takes it and starts to unbutton her shirt.

Nandini: (In a denial mood) "Amma I am changing but I won't agree with your other instructions. It's my first day of marriage. How could I remove my Mangalsutra and sindoor?"

Rituja: (Sternly) "I didn't ask you to remove your sindoor or Mangalsutra Nandu. That much sense I have that you are now married and a married woman wears all these for her husband's good health. Manik is no longer a stranger to me. He is my son-in-law and I also wish good for him. I just asked you to remove the extra sindoor from your forehead and hide it under your hair. You don't have to remove the Mangalsutra but tuck it with your kurta with a safety pin so that it doesn't come out. You know how curious your Amms is. She has hawk eyes. I asked for some days to make it easy for both of you. Let me follow my plan. Don't ruin it with your stupid impulsive mind. Otherwise, I won't have any say before your grandmom and father. Ufff...I still can't believe you both had such a stupid plan. If I were in your place..."

Nandini slips on the kurta and pins the Mangalsutra with it. Then she turns to the bathroom mirror and starts rubbing her forehead red with vermillion. A naughty smile beams on her face.

Nandini: (In a pretentious naïve tone) "What would you do if you were in my place, Amma?"

Rituja doesn't smell the mischief in her daughter's tone.

Rituja: "I would have booked a hotel room to get ready as a bride and then go to the court. I would never be there like a clown. I would properly have hired a cab and reached there like a normal bride unlike you who landed there on a bike. And that also with a cow owner. Aiyapaa."

She rolls her eyes at the ceiling. Nandini hides the remaining part of her sindoor amidst her lush hair and flips with a smiling face.

Nandini: (Teasingly) "Okay. I agree that our plan was a bit weird and I messed it up more but you! Hotel room and all, Amma...huhu...Nivu nanaginta heccu romantic agi kanuttiri...Ahem ahem. (You seem more romantic than me...Ahem ahem) By any chance did you plan to elope with Appa and get married? But as far I know it was an arranged marriage."

She squints her eyes in suspicion. By now, her teasing tone nudges Rituja's conscience. She rolls her eyes at Nandini and admonishingly slaps her cheek.

Rituja: "Bayi muccu. (Shut up.) Now, care to come out. I told your Amms that you haven't come yet from college. So, get out from the backside door and then enter from the main gate. Meanwhile, I will get her involved with me."

Nandini's eyes dance with jest. She hugs her mother and places a sloppy kiss on her cheek.

Nandini: (Affectionately) "You are the best Amma in this world. By the way, have Appa and Harshad come? As per your instruction, I entered from the backside door, so, I didn't notice."

Rituja: "Hmmm...both have come and your Appa also was asking for you so, make it fast before they start doubting. And Harshad! Well, since he came, he is avoiding me. I have lots to ask him. My children have grown up. They have started keeping secrets."

Her tone is low. It seems that she is still hurt. Nandini immediately back hugs Rituja.

Nandini: "I am sorry, Amma. I know I hurt you but try to understand my situation. Amms made the situation so hard for me that we wanted some solid ground to withstand her obstinance. And no better idea came to my mind in that situation. But I promise, from now, I and Manik won't keep any secret from you."