Chapter 38 - "Mother and Daughter bond..."

Murthy House: Nandini's room: 4:20 p.m:

Nyonika gets the better of her emotion and turns her face to the other side to hide it.

Nyonika: (Sadly) "Daughter-in-law and mother-in-law can never be friends. You will always compare me to your mother."

Nandini chuckles at her kiddishness. She can't even hide her disappointment. Only a clear-hearted person does this. Nandini nears her and places the packet on Nyonika's lap.

Nandini: (Amusedly) "Of course, I will because Amma's and your nature are totally different. But I promise I will never compare both of your love towards me. Maa, I know, no one can take a mother's place but that doesn't mean a mother-in-law can't love her Nuh (Daughter-in-law) like her own daughter. And I know how much you love girl child. Manik told me that before Dhruv's birth, you wished for a baby girl. But when Dhruv was born you fulfilled your wish by dressing him up with girl's clothes...he...he. Even Manik used to think that he has a baby sister for quite a long

Nandini's giggle spreads to Nyonika's lips too. She looks at Nandini from the corner of her eyes.

Nyonika: (Curiously) "Who taught you Punjabi?"

Nandini sits on a stool facing Nyonika's chair.

Nandini: (Giggles) "Duolingo. You know Maa, Manik always teases me by using Punjabi words. So, I thought to learn Punjabi. At least I should know when he is calling me stupid and when intelligent."

Nyonika strokes the packet that Nandini kept on her lap. A mischievous grin appears on her lips.

Nyonika: "To tubhi bulana use sarphira pagal teri Madrasi bhasha me. (Then call him crazy mad in your Madrasi language)"

Nandini: (Giggles) "I call him Pedda."

Nyonika: (With Wide eye) "Pedda! Matlab? (Means)"

Nandini covers her mouth to suppress her laughter.

Nandini: (Tee-hees) "Fool in Kannadiga...he...he. And I told him that it means handsome...he...he."

That's it. Nyonika splits her sides along with Nandini. Both Mom and Daughter-in-law duo guffaw for a few moments when Nyonika's eyes fall on the brown packet again. She looks at Nandini with a quizzical expression.

Nandini: (Mischievously) "Open it!"

With a deep frown and bewildered face, Nyonika opens the packet and gradually gapes in surprise. It is a beautiful golden Kanjivaram saree. Nyonika meets Nandini's smiling face.

Nandini: "That day I saw you selecting this saree in Simran's boutique. But somehow you refrain, maybe because of the price. But you know, Maa. Beteka shadime money shouldn't be a matter. So, I bought it for you."

Nandini winks at Nyonika with an impish grin. Nyonika leaps up from the stool, wraps the saree on her upper torso and strides towards the mirror. Her eyes are beaming with ecstasy.

Nyonika: "Simran ki bachhi paitish hazar mang rahi thi. (Simran was asking for 35k) Lut macha rakhhi hain kambakhat ne. (She is a marauder) Par tujhe aur achhese Hindi sikhni hogi, Nandu. (But you have to learn Hindi more properly, Nandu) Beteka Shadi nehi, beteki shadi. (It's not beteka shadi, it's beteki shadi) Gender pe dhyan de."

Nandini walks to Nyonika and hugs her from behind. Nyonika was observing herself gracefully in the mirror.

Nandini: "Okay! I will. Now, tell me how was the surprise?"