Chapter 18 - "The final planning..."

Murthy House: Nandini's bedroom: 24 hours before the marriage:

Nandini pulls the drawer of the cupboard and takes out a folder. She comes to the bed and empties it on it. Some papers and certificates get spread on the bed.

Nandini: (Mumbles) "Manik told me to carry any age proof. I think Aadhar would be fine. In case the address proof is needed."

She fishes out the Aadhar card and keeps it aside.

Nandini: (Utters in low voice) "I don't need to carry any extra clothes. Manik is buying the saree and the mangalsutra (Nuptial chain). Should I wear the Jhumkas (A kind of earrings) that Mom made for my wedding?"

Nandini comes to the cupboard once again and opens the locker to take out a jewellery box. After a brief thought, she opens it with hesitant hands. All the gold glitter that turns Nandini's face sulky.

Nandini: (Murmurs) "I am sorry, Amma. I know it is your dream to see me wearing all these but right now, I can't fulfil your wish. But I am not wearing these pieces of jewellery in your absence either. I promise the day I and Manik will marry with all rituals, with everybody's consent, you will see me in your wished bride avatar."

She takes out the jhumkas and keeps the box again inside the locker. After that, she transfers the Aadhar card and the earrings into her handbag and keeps all the extra papers in their previous place. She glances at the clock. Her forehead lines with worry. She has less time and there are lots of things to do. The first thing is to talk to Harshad. Only he can help her to execute the first step of this plan. Nandini unbolts her door and comes to Harshad's room.

.............................................

Murthy House: Harshad's room: 24½ hours before the marriage:

Harshad: (In a sceptical tone) "You need to meet Gayatri for class notes? But Nandu you can call her to come over here, right? You know Amms has forbidden you to go outside. Especially after the drama, you did yesterday with Adhiraju Swami. I mean seriously! How could you manage to come up with such innovative ideas all the time...ha...ha...it was literally out of the box."

Nandini is standing in front of Harshad keeping her hands on either side of her waist while Harshad is sitting with his laptop on the bed. His words flare her nose in exasperation. She hasn't come here to blush by hearing her praise.

Nandini: (In a stern voice) "You also had thought out of the box if you would have been in my place. But don't worry. Very soon you will get the opportunity to show your talent."

Harshad frowns at her with perplexion. Nandini sits on the bed with a thud. Her face is emitting both the emotions...happiness and sorrow.

Nandini: "Harshad! Amms never allowed me to call you Anna. Now, I can relate to and understand the reason behind it. But that doesn't deny the truth that I always have considered you as my brother. Thank you for understanding my emotion. I know you are not ready...in fact, you are not in that situation to confront Amms or Appa and tell them that even you consider me as your sister and want to marry your chosen girl. But someone has to take the first step and here I am that person. I can't sacrifice my happiness in the name of my family's old stereotypical beliefs. But in this, I want someone who can help me even if it's a secret help."

Nandini keeps staring at Harshad for a while. Her eyes have a plea.

Harshad: (In a determined tone) "Tell me! I am there for you."

Nandini: (In a grave voice) "Can I trust you?"

Harshad: (Sighs and utters) "You can trust your Anna."