Chapter 12 -"Punjabi Gunda..."

Malhotra house: Breakfast table: 8:30 am:

All are present except Dhruv. He has left for college as he has to catch up with Shahid and discuss the marriage application and date. Last night Manik's words has made his mind to solve this matter as soon as possible before some other problem knocks at the door. Meanwhile, he has been asked to contact Nandini as Manik can't meet or call her. Her phone is switched off and they can easily guess what would be the situation in Murthy house. Sometimes two people who are truly best for each other will have to face greater obstacles in order to be with each other. Manik is ruminating over all the messy situation while sipping on his tea.

Nyonika: (Inquisitively) "Kya sochia tanne? (What have you thought?)

Manik can whiff the heat in her tone but still prefers to fake ignorance.

Manik: (Reluctantly) "About what?"

Nyonika: "About your marriage. I have started looking for a perfect pretty girl who can be an ideal daughter-in-law of this house."

Manik didn't expect it at all. He thought that Nyonika is talking about Nandini. She is anxious about if Manik has left his obstinance to marry Nandini. Only Nandini. But this new shock is out of his syllabus. He widens his eyes at his over-enthusiastic mother.

Manik: (In a surprised tone) "Mom! What are you talking about? I am not going to marry anyone. How can you even think like this? Dad, please make her understand."

He turns at Shrikant with helpless eyes.

Nyonika: (Sarcastically) "You would have done it happily, Manu if I had mentioned that Madrasi girl's name. And don't try to involve your father in this matter. That lady didn't insult him but me."

Kausar: (Sternly) "Nyo, don't make it an ego issue. I know they have insulted you but that doesn't mean you will pressurise your son for this. He loves that girl, Nyo. How can he forget her so easily?"

Nyonika: (In a sad and frustrated tone) "Manu loves me too, Mummy and is it my fault to demand some obedience from my own son? Isn't it his responsibility to take care of his mother's wish? Is this pressurising?"

Shrikant: (Suddenly chides) "Yes, this is pressurising. Nyo, I told you many times that I am not going to get my sons married so soon. Manik is only 23. He has just joined a job. He has some dreams, some ambition. You can't ruin them by putting this big responsibility on his shoulders so soon. I have supported you in Nandini's matter because you are right on that point but that doesn't mean you will stretch this issue so far that you can't even see your son's future. He agreed to come out of this relationship, right? Then why are you making all things more complicated? He will focus on his career. That's it. No marriage, no Nandini, no other girl. And that is final."

Shrikant throws the napkin on the table and quits his seat. His face is red in fury. He doesn't like any quarrel during meals.

Kausar: (Composedly) "When he is ready to forget Nandini then why are you annoying him? Let him be like him. Give him some time."

Nyonika wraps the dupatta around her waist more tightly and knots the ends in exasperation.

Nyonika: (Angrily) "Okay, give him time. Baad me mainu na daso ki time nikal gaya. (After that don't tell me that time is over) Iha Madrasi kuri huna mere ghara jhagra karva rahi hai. (This Madrasi girl is now causing quarrels in my house) Rabba mainu chak le." (God please call me to you)

That was enough for Manik. He can feel Nyonika's sentiment but that doesn't mean she keeps on blaming that poor soul for everything. Manik gets up from the chair and turns on his heels to leave.